love is a battlefield



this is a first at word to your mother--i was so conflicted over whether to classify this as "awesomely bad" or "awesomely good" that i just had to go with both.

pat benetar was rocking it on on the front lines of video pioneering when she came up with this beauty--it was one of the first epic storytelling videos (fashioned after our boy mikey jacks) and i must have seen this one a hundred times with my cousins down in my basement recorded on the beta tape (google it, kids--you'll learn something new) with our other precious music videos.

we had many, many moments that we held close in our hearts and pondered--the best ones are as follows:

:50 when she is leaving home and her "mom" and her exchange looks, we always ignored the fact that the two of them probably shared a yoga class and carpool schedule together. dare to dream, benetar!

1:34 when she gets all "street" with her esprit bag and radical leopard print mini--but keep watching for the black dude in the shortest, tightest white shorts and blue cut-off midriff shirt to sashay by

3:20 GET READY--WAIT FOR IT.......I'M NOT JOKING....THE BEST DANCE MOVE PERFORMED, EVAHHHHH IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD IN A MUSIC VIDEO.

4:03 the creepiest smile ever performed in the history of the world in a music video.

4:09 love this when he starts to actually do the mambo with her--was he classically trained?

4:23 THE OTHER BEST DANCE MOVE PERFORMED IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD IN A MUSIC VIDEO.



to see ms. benetar outdo even her own self, clickety HERE

6 comments:

Shanz said...

My girls totally dig this song courtesy of "13 Going On 30." I still think it rocks! ;)

Chillygator said...

Oh man, I totally lost it at 3:20. That was AWESOME! I want to whip that one out on a date some time.

rachel said...

A CLASSIC! My cousin Nicole and I used to know all these dance moves by heart and would perform them in our living room. That was back in the day when there were still videos on MTV all day long. And I do amember the Beta Max...we used to watch the Breakfast Club over and over and over again on that machine....thanks for the memories. I HEART Pat Benetar! and my vote is that it is so BAD it is GOOD.

Tiburon said...

Love that video. I always wondered how all the "bad" girls knew all the steps to the dance.
Plus PB reminded me of my stepmom. She looked exactly like that in the 80's.

When are we going to get some Twisted Sister action?

Kami said...

Love the Boob Shake! I am going to add it to my routine when I try out for SYTYCD.

Omgirl said...

Did you know that Pat Benetar was absolutely TERRIFIED to dance and completely two-left-footed? It took her days and days of practice and moral support and personal coaching to do the few moves in this video. Thanks pop-up video!