HB LONI!!


(megan, mindi, loni, and sister in law alison 2007)
hb to my big sister loni--i seriously can't believe that i couldn't find a photo of her and i together in the last 5 years, but she sent me the one above--she's the one on my right who is a dead ringer for my mother.

loni has always been the "perfect child", and i say that without sarcasm! she was obedient, smart, got good grades, was on the seminary council, went to byu, worked at deseret book--you getting the picture? she just made good, clean living look easy. and she still does.

we clashed a bit during our teenage years--i want to publicly apologize to poor loni for screaming out the front door, "I HOPE YOU DIE A VIRGIN!!!!!" when she was getting into the car for her date with mitchell blake. yeah, it was rough living with me. thank goodness loni was smart enough to realize her sister was an idiot and as a result didn't need therapy.

loni is a wonderful mother to her 4 children--she is strict, yet loving, and knows how to be tough when she needs to be and a push-over when that is required, too. she made me an aunt for the first time when i was 21 years old and it changed my life forever. i got to be there when she had her first child, kiersta, and it was one of the most powerful, spiritual events in my life. i loved those little ones like my own and she helped me prepare to be a mother.

loni is funny and sharp-witted and has an amazing ability to stamp. yes, STAMP. she has been a stampin' up! demonstrator for a billion years and makes the most amazing stamped creations, ever. EVAH. she gave up on getting me in on that action years ago, but i love to see her do her thing and come up with unique and creative ways of doing scrapbook pages or cards or invites that would have taken me centuries to figure out. she's run her own stamping business for all of these years and been very successful and i am proud of her.

i mentioned that she works part-part time at deseret book and she is a gal who knows what she is doing and should really be in charge there but declined because she didn't want to be away from her family. she is a great organizer and when i moved into my house 5 years ago she came down and single-handedly (with meg, also--so kinda double-handedly) moved every item into my laundry room and kitchen and i was forever thankful for it.

we used to sing a made-up song about being sister and best friends when we were little and i slept in a bed with her until i was 11--i remember that i loved getting right up next to her and throwing my leg over her to sleep. which was fine until it started shaking, and then she knew she was in trouble as i had, ahem, a little bedwetting thang--sorry bout that, sister. oooooh, the things you endure for family!



one of the things that used to KILL me about loni was when she would get new clothes. she would hang them in the closet and then wait for weeks, WEEKS I TELL YOU! until wearing them. she would always say she was waiting for a "special occasion" to put them on and it nearly put this girl who was wearing the new clothes out of the store practically over the edge. we had the typical teenage girl fights about "you wore my shirt without asking!!!" which was almost always her saying that to me....whoops. but we managed to survive the teens with only 2 (that i can remember) physical altercations in which i tried to kick her trash but mostly just gave her a big scar on her hand. loni was a lover, not a fighter, and she still is.

i also remember my mother telling us when we were professing our hatred for each other that one day we would love each other and be the best of friends. who would have thought that lana spoke truth??? i love loni so much and am grateful for her being in my life always. she loves me unconditionally with no limits and puts up with my garbage and i want her to know that i would do anything for her.



so, hb loni!! here is to many more birthdays and many more years together--i love you!!!

30 comments:

omar said...

Happy birthday, Loni!

sincerely,
some dude you don't know.

Tiburon said...

Happy Birthday Loni!!
I think this calls for an obscene call to the Deseret Book.

Tori :) said...

Happy Birthday Loni!!

("I hope you die a virgin!" That is just MEAN Mindi!!)

R-Eight said...

Happy Birthday Loni.

samiam said...

I am a Blurker over from Tiffany's blog and thought I would come out today. Wanna know why? You normally make me laugh out loud but the fact that you yelled "I HOPE YOU DIE A VIRGIN!!!!!" to your sister out the front door made my day! That is too funny. I am sitting here at work laugh my you know what off and they all think I am nuts! Thanks. I have the same relationship with my sister, boy I made it rough for her. Now we get along great but she also does not let me forget the things I did to make her life misserable!

Josh, Lindsie, and Ava said...

Happy Birthday! Wow, I am impressed with your birthday tributes!

Amy said...

Hapy Birthday to the saloon girl's nice sister. Lana had to have one nice girl...celebrate her!

Vanessa said...

Early 80's plaid shirts. . .I miss them. Let's bring them back.

devri said...

Oh the sisterly love, me and my sis were in a fist fight when the missionaries came running through the door, I guess they thought they were suppose to save a life.

Now you knocking on purity, that's just uncalled for Mindi, you know your going to he*& for that one don't you!! See ya there!!!!

Tiffany said...

Happy bday to your sis! You and I are both lucky in the way of having a great sister! =)

Ida said...

She sounds like a wonderful sister. I am jealous of people who have sisters. I only have brother.

Megal said...

Happy Birthday Loni! You know I love you and hope that you have the bestest day ever! I wish I was there to celebrate with you. I love you!

Joellen said...

Happy birthday Loni! I love the picture with the twinner perms.

Omgirl said...

Sisters are the best. My sister and I were bitter enemies when we were little too. Actually, that's not true. I tried and tried to be her frienda and she hit me and told me I smelled bad. But now were besties, so it's all good. Weird how that can happen when you get older.

MiaKatia said...

Happy Birthday Loni! That was such a sweet tribute to your sister. She is obviously an amazing sister, mother, wife, friend.

Stephanie M said...

that was really sweet min -

Tanja said...

She sounds like a wonderful person, and a very happy birthday to her!

Holly H. said...

Happy happy birthday children dear.... Happy days will come to you all year...

HB Loni!

Loni-the OTHER sister said...

Thank you for the kind words, everyone! What Mindi failed to mention was that we lived between the Stake Pres. and our Bishop in a cul-de-sac and they were both out doing yard work the day she followed me out the door to curse me...luckily, my clean living counteracted the curse, and I have 4 children :P

{Annie N.} said...

Happy Birthday Loni. I'm glad you survived growing up with Mindi. :)

Fried Eggs said...

Oh I could really like to hang with you. I like the way you think!! On one birthday for my Ex-Husband's brother I showed up at his work & did a strip tease down to my G-String & Pasties. It was Las Vegas at the time so people weren't too shocked. I wore a mask so he had no idea it was me. The best part was that he is a total goodie goodie church boy & it totally freaked him out. I've never seen a person go so red in the face. I was just on your friend's blog whose wedding anniversary is this week. Maybe you could do the same for her husband? (Sorry, can't recall his name). Even if you live across the country from one another its worth the prank. By the way...I love the Napoleon D dance moves. Great movie!! -- Texas Blonde

Fried Eggs said...

Caylor...that's his name!! Not sure how to say it, but it looks cool. What nationality is he?

Physcokity said...

Happy Birthday Loni!

All that cake needs is a mushroom cloud over it when you blow out the candles... ;)

love it.

Melissa said...

What a great sister you have, hope she had a fantastic birthday! I about peed my pants when I read about the screaming of "I hope you die a virgin" part...you're killing me!

ELASTICWAISTBANDLADY said...

Loni.....you have the greatest name ever for playing the Name Game.

Loni, Loni, Bo-Bonni, Banana-fanna-fo-fonnie, Me-my-mo-onnie....LONI!

Happy Birthday

Mindi said...

okay--fried eggs..... oh my. where to start?

first, pasty and g string strip down for my brother in law's bday is SOOOOOOO last year.

b. i am leaving your comment and not deleting it because i think you are full of shiz and i aint skeeered.

and,
3. take it down just a few notches. you're at a ten. we need you at about a seven.

thanks for stopping by!!!

Mindi said...

oh, and fried eggs--

you mentioned that you were in las vegas and wearing a mask....

is this michael jackson????

you crazy prankster!!

b. said...

Ok...that is a beautiful tribute to yo seester!

My seester used to pee her bed, then come and pee mine.

That's love.

carly k. said...

hhhmmm... you guys are related?

Pedaling said...

great tribute-one of the things i love most about blogs are the birthday shout outs-
yours to your sis was fantastic!