shallow thoughts: why is there a scale in my hotel bathroom?







it never fails: every time we stay at a really nice, fancy hotel or condo, their is always, always, ALWAYS a scale in the bathroom. why is that?

i am on vacay--i do NOT want to weigh myself right now. i want to eat bad food and get treats and maybe even if i'm feeling REALLY wild and crazy, have a real dr. pepper--what i don't want? a scale in my bathroom, telling me that i'm too fat and to get off because i'm hurting it.

the funny thing is that whenever we've stayed at nice, middle-class hotels/motels, there is NEVER a scale in the bathroom. never. like, never, EVER.

i wonder if it's a conspiracy because some rich women want to stay size double zero and need to weigh themselves 5 times a day to do it? i realize that there are also those of you out there who like to have a scale present, maybe like a little jiminy cricket on your shoulder, helping you stay on track and not come home from your trip 5 pounds heavier. good for you. but i can't do it.

i have not ever stepped onto one of the scales at ANY of the fancy-schmancy hotels. not even one time. that's because i want to enjoy my time away and not go down my shame spiral if i'm up a pound or two. call me crazy, but i like it a little better that way.


so my question for you is, do you weigh, or do you not weigh? do tell....

19 comments:

Pedaling said...

you know, i'm pretty sure that most scales in hotels are set 5 pounds lighter, they do that on purpose...so go for it -weigh youself and enjoy what you see.

do not, however weigh yourself upon coming home- especially if you flew on an airplane- water retention is a reality and it will not look pretty in numbers.

Tanja said...

I do not weigh, on vacation....hell no!

buddens said...

I agree. I don't weigh.

Tiffany said...

I think your theory is exactly right. I guess rich, skinny women have ruined vacations for the rest of us. Let's hear it for three-star hotels!

Vanessa said...

Right on Tiffany. At all of my 3 star stays, there has never been a scale. But if there was. . .NO WAY!

Hannah said...

I can't help myself...I weigh myself every time I see a scale. I need to stop cause it makes me depressed.

Holly H. said...

I hate the scales in hotels too! But, I do have to admit that I weigh myself on a regular basis at home. I can't help it!

Jennie Minor said...

I don't weigh on vaca! I agree with you..vaca should be about eating all the food you don't do when you are at home. but when I am at home (and not prego) I do weigh on a regular basis.

Me and The Boys said...

I am totally expecting a scale in our standard double at the Red Rock this weekend....and i will probably weigh...only b/c i'm obsessed lately...and i want some cheesecake at that darn Factory....yeah I'll eat it and then I'll want to know how much i gained from it...

Tiffany said...

I weigh almost every morning. On the same scale at home. But it's not so much to see if I'm losing weight, it's to make sure I'm not gaining. On vacation, I could care less.

Adam and Kristina said...

I don't weigh myself, EVER.

rachel said...

I never weigh myself anymore. What's the point? for me it is all about how my clothes are fitting. Getting snug? Time to step up the working out. I am not much of a dieter...everything in moderation I say :)

simply kris said...

why does my dr's scale always weigh me 10 lbs more than the home scale? my nightmare would be for my Dr to be in my hotel bathroom, clip board in hand, asking for a weigh in each time I returned to the room.... Vacay is for TREATING yourself, not for poundage tallying.

Petunia said...

Seriously--I don't even own a scale. I think they're a waste of time and space.

devri said...

I am with petunia fir sure!!

Shanz said...

I have never weighed myself on vacation, but at home I maybe weigh myself once or twice a month. Like Rachel said, I can pretty much tell what's going on by how my clothes fit.

hoLLy said...

hilarious pics and i guess i'm going to the wrong(or right) hotels. i've never seen a scale. that shows you how much of the world i've seen in the lap of luxury:)not a whole lot.

Ida said...

I weigh in my sick mind I weigh everyday. Even is the fancy smanshy hotel has a scale I weigh there too.

Omgirl said...

I think there are no scales in middle class hotels because middle class people would steal them.

also, I have a theory about rich people--they are skinnier. Because my rich (and super skinny) friend tried to talk me into getting some really expensive jeans and Nordstrom and guess what? I had to try on sizes 3x bigger than what i normally wear just to get them over my hips. Stupid skinny rich people. It's a conspiracy.