GANG SIGNS



being somewhat unnaturally interested in fake gang 'signs', i found THIS article on gawker quite interesting:

"These are a series of Time Life photos detailing the collection of hand signals that Sherman Billingsley, the owner of Old Manhattan institution The Stork Club, used to communicate silently with his staff.

As owner of the storied supper-club haunt of characters on Mad Men, and of people from the real-life 1950's, Billingsley employed his elaborate system to make it seem as if things at the Stork just happened like magic, be they good—champagne! perfume!—or bad—get out and never come back!

In the photos, Billingsley demonstrates each move, along with his regular drink, a Coke."


now, if i was a betting woman, i would say the safe money is on the fact that coke sponsored this article......

A tug on the pocket square meant that he liked a table and wanted his assistant to "Get them a bottle of perfume." Could be a cheap bottle for $7.50, or Chanel for $150. LIFE © Time Inc.


If he pointed his finger down, he liked a table and wanted his assistant to "Bring a round of drinks," but I guess he didn't like them enough for the champagne. LIFE © Time Inc.


A hand out on the table also meant that he liked the customers, and wanted his assistant to "Bring a bottle of champagne." LIFE © Time Inc.



When Billingsley fiddled with his tie, it meant "No check for this table." Congrats. You win. Free dinner. LIFE © Time Inc.



A hand on the nose meant "Not important people" or "Their check is no good." You didn't want a hand on the nose. LIFE © Time Inc.



You definitely didn't want this thumbs up signal, which told his assistants to "Get them out & don't let them in again." LIFE © Time Inc.



i think that i should be developing my own intricate, detailed system of hand-signals for the important times in my life when i need to silently communicate:


'VISITING TEACHERS HAVE BEEN HERE TOO LONG'

'THAT IS THE FAST LANE, IDIOT. IT'S FOR CARS GOING FAST.'

'CONTRARY TO YOUR OPINION, THE WORLD DOES NOT REVOLVE AROUND YOU.'

'BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY'

'WHERE IS THE DIET DR PEPPER?'

'QUIT HITTING YOUR SISTER!'

'THESE PANTS MUST HAVE SHRUNK IN THE DRYER'

'NO, YOU CANNOT HAVE A PUPPY.'

'WHO ARE THESE CHILDREN AND WHY ARE THEY CALLING ME "MOM"?'

10 comments:

tiburon said...

I use some signs too. My favorite is the one I flash right before I punch someone in the face.

Wanna see it? ;O)

Shawn said...

I. Loved. This.!!!

Great post! You are so funny, girl.

buddens said...

My absolute favorite is the visiting teacher one! I hate when it works the other way though and you're visiting someone, trying desperately to leave, and they won't let you! Ugh!

Tiffany said...

Classic!

Kaiser said...

It appears that you may not be the only person that is "unnaturally interested in fake gang signs". I believe this youtube video will help shed some light on this behaviour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKTDRqQtPO8

Cole said...

I think they already have a universal sign for all of those. it involves your hand, either one don't be picky.

It's sure to hurry out those visitng teachers, help you locate the diet dr. pepper, and I know the dryer will get it's act together with this simple yet undeniable form of communication.

And all drivers know what it means too.

simply kris said...

I am following your lead... hubs just doesn't always catch the "I don't want to stay here any longer" glance.... I fine gesture may speak volumes without saying a word!

Vanessa said...

My husband throws some signs any time anyone from the ward approaches him, or calls or wants to meet w/us. I'm good at reading those. It gets us out of a lot of stuff.

Kami said...

Seriously, you must patent the VT one, it would sell like funeral potatoes. I'm a dork.

Omgirl said...

I already have a hand signal for people driving slow in the fast lane. Want me to show it to you?