SUCK IT! (russ and mindi fight about vacuuming)



after a small squabble the other night, i made a mental note to post about this:


the rbc & i don't fight about many things. but one thing that ALWAYS causes marital discord is THE VACUUM.

without fail, every couple of months i'll notice that the vacuum is just making marks in the floor and not picking up a single thing.

i'll stop, call him immediately and say, "the vacuum is broken. i need you to fix it tonight."

to which he'll always reply, "WHY DID YOU BREAK IT?! I JUST FIXED IT A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO!! WHAT DID YOU VACUUM OVER? DAMMIT!"

so then, that night as he takes it apart, he makes a pile of the hair/threads/debris that he collects from the innards and calls me in to survey the damages.

"LOOK AT THIS." he says. "THIS IS DISGUSTING! CAN YOU SEE ALL THE HAIR AND JUNK THAT YOU'VE VACUUMED UP? NO WONDER IT'S NOT WORKING! YOU NEED TO WATCH WHAT YOU ARE SUCKING UP!"

but then i always say, "oh. you mean the hair/debris/threads that are THE REASON WHY I AM VACUUMING? THOSE hairs/debris-esss/threds-esss? the very reason we bought a freaking eight pound orek xl for in the FIRST PLACE? yeah.....i know them. really well."

i think he would be happier if i took a fine-tooth comb and started through the carpet on hands and knees, raking it out first, flushing out any potential vacuum-pitfalls like excessive food spillage &/OR barbie shoes AS WELL as the threads/debris/hairs. like from the five women in his house. four of which his chromosomes determined the sex.

so i've made up my mind--from this day forward, i vow to have our vacuum resemble THIS:


17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mindi-
Love your blog! We HAD this same discussion/argument/problem in our home until I bought the DYSON! I'm tellin' ya, it's where it's at- You can see the dirt, hair, threads etc. in the canister and it does not clog up. I change the canister twice a week- that is how much it sucks up! Put your orek on ebay and go for the dyson!

Just SO said...

What is a vacuum for if not to suck up hair and such??

Tiffany said...

So funny! That vacuum curio will look great next to your seasonals.

Mia said...

Lots of women = lots of hair.
At least you are vacuuming right?

mCat said...

You had me at suck

Parkin Family said...

Ok - I must say you have no idea who I am but I peek at your blog all the time.....I found your blog through a friend of a friends blog...HeHeHe...any way if you can believe it the Vacuum is what brought me out of the closet! You go girl....Don't get between a woman and her vacuum!

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

awesome. I need a vacuum because we left our central vac & my mom DI'd my Oreck by accident!

Creative Juice by Loni said...

Ah, the perils of homemaking!

Jules said...

Oh honey...you need a Dyson...

Whitney R said...

The most hair comes from the entryways into the bathroom that I use. So I use the hose for that little bit of carpet before I start vacuuming the rest. But I can't imagine 5 girls hair.

Rusti said...

The thing I love about my Dyson is the 5 year warranty. I suck up whatever the flip I want with no consequence. I don't think hair has ever been an issue but some cords may have been. I just take it back to Sears and they fix it right up without any sass.

Kristen said...

As another mother of 4 girls... I feel your pain! I have a dyson and LOVE it, but I still have to cut the hair out of the roller every once in a while!

Joy said...

Hey I'm a creeper blog stalker. Stalked your blog back when you wanted a blog stalker and you didn't even know you had me all along. I had to comment today because I'm pretty sure I just peed my pants. Thanks for the laugh. We have similar vacuum issues only mine are way more serious because the wine colored carpet I loved in 1994...well enough said. Damn.

Omgirl said...

Great post. But I'm sorry that you have such a "sucky" (get it?) vacuum. First of all, tell RBC that I love him but he's up in the night. Secondly, I have a Hoover Tempo Widepath. Totally inexpensive and rated one of the best vacuums out there by Consumer Reports. It sucks up EVERYTHING. Even Barbie shoes, coins, and small children who get it its way.

Shawn said...

I would just yell at the vacuum,
"HEY, YOU SUCK!!!"



heh, heh.

Me, I LOVE my IRobot---check it out!

Anonymous said...

Hilarious post! That's just too funny but I say go for the Dyson too...it sucks like no other! ;)

tiburon said...

That is a riot!

I heart my Dyson.