maaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm


i've been a mother for nearly 15 years now. (cue applause.)

i'd like to think that i'm fairly 'mom-savvy'--i've been around the old mothering block a few times and this is NOT my first rodeo.

so it came as quite a shock to me the other afternoon when i realized that it's taken me 5,452 days to come to the conclusion that my children wait to position themselves in the corner of the house which is geographically the furthest away from me. and THEN yell, "MOOOOMMMMMMMM!"

it is a hard & fast rule. and one that is STRICTLY adhered to. i even caught (i kid you not) my second-born standing next to me in the kitchen. not saying a word. and then leaving to go to the basement, where she promptly had a pressing question. that she had to scream my name for.

repeatedly.


now,i know that 'mom' is a title which is both an honor and a privilege. and that there are many women who would give all just to have the opportunity to be labeled as such-- so i am grateful for my opportunity.

what i'm NOT grateful for? the 107th time in a single day in which i've heard that loveliest of terms uttered aloud. and then i would give all just to be called any other name. with possibly a different zip code attached to said name for good measure.

i've often times wondered, if i had a little clicker-counter-thingy, just what kinds of astronomical numbers would be posted at day's end.



anybody care to challenge me?

12 comments:

tiburon said...

I challenge you - but I know you are up to the task.

I kind of hoped this post was about you getting tattoo.

I won't lie that I was disappointed.

Shawn said...

Oh, my gosh!!! I just about wet my pants when I got your comment on my blog----you are like----a celebrity in the blog world!

(I still hold that purse so reverently that you sent me----I don't talk to it or anything that strange, but.....)

Anywho---I know what you mean about the Mom thing---but enjoy it now, cause when they move out----you can't ever get them to even call you----(sigh)

Luv ya, girl!

tammy said...

I hate it so much that I refuse to answer when they yell for me. They have to come find me.

Anonymous said...

After my lovely daughter saying all day repeatly, mom, mom ,mommy,mother ( you all know the tune)! I said in my nicest voice- DO NOT say "mom" again today- I MEAN IT! Three seconds later I hear a little voice say "Misty"! How can I get mad at that? =)

Cole said...

Yeah I was hoping for the tattoo as well.

Ahh, it's the screaching, my brother is picking on me mom that drives me the craziest!

Cole said...

Wait!

What drives me even crazier than mom being yelled across the house?

My husband when he can't walk from one room to the next and insists on joining the kids in their never ending chorus.

Anonymous said...

I can only imagine how many times you hear that word muttered with four, I have two and it can drive me crazy!

Omgirl said...

Well, Daphne has just discovered how fun it can be to call by anything other than "Mommy". So she says variations on this ALL DAY LONG. Mother, Ma, Mom, Arianne, MommyDommy, etc. Over and over. Not even to talk to me. Just to hear herself say it. It's really ANNOYING.

Angie said...

Or, if they're are not yelling at you from the deep dark recesses of your home, they come and ask for things (which they are perfectly capable of taking care of themselves) when not only are you the most vulnerable (i.e. the bathroom) but when the other parent is in the same room they were just in and perfectly willing and happy to help.

I'm changing my name to Dad.

Devri said...

Don't even feel sorry fo ya! try at my house for an hour!! You'd go nutz!!!

I am sorry I am MiA lately...

I just don't comment all the time.. I still adore you and your blog though!!! Now that summer is out, I could just get back to being the annoying blogstalker again.. just maybe!!

;0)

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

It's so true...then why am I trying to get Aiden to say Mom when I know I will not love it some day.

ps. I loved reading Shawn's comment. I feel the same way when you comment. :)

Chillygator said...

I'm so the opposite, I hate yelling. I'll find the person I want to talk to so I won't have to yell and if I hear someone yell for me I won't respond until they come to the room where I'm in. Yelling is a pet peeve of mine (o: