ode to lana larkin or my mom is the best mom ever. i'll fight you.

















this photo is my mother when she was in high school--i have always thought that she was a total babe.  also i wondered how she got away with such a "scandalous" outfit for her pic and i wanted to wear the exact same thing.  anyone have a feather wrap i can borrow

my mom has always been the best example of parenting by love--my childhood was fabulous, and that was mostly due to my mother. she has loved us and supported us and said the right things and done even "righter" things, and she's always managed to make it look second nature.

she is kind and talented and quite adventuresome in some aspects. growing up, she was always coming up with big business ventures--she started 5 or 6 successful little home-based businesses and then sold them. she would get them up and running, make some money, then move on to the next venture.
mom has always had an "artistic bone" in her body. she loves to oil paint and would always talk about all of the beautiful colors surrounding us wherever we went. we thought she was a little nutty, but now that i'm old, i TOTALLY get where she was coming from.

my mother was a talented seamstress. i found out later in life that she didn't sew because she loved it, she sewed because it was cheaper and she wanted to provide for our family. many times i would come home from school and she would be there at the sewing machine, stitching a new sunday dress for me or my sisters. she tried to instill sewing love in my blood but, alas--she failed. she DID, however, teach me how to sew a mean "units" belt or pants which was a lifesaver for me in the late 1980's.

my mom has always had a strong testimony of the gospel--she shared that with the lucky people of san antonio, texas, for three years when her and my dad served as mission presidents. those missionaries loved her so much and knew that it was really her that ran the show.

my parents have been married for 44 years this july, and my dad loves my mom more than life itself, and ALMOST as much as golf, which is a lot. a WAY LOT.

my mother is a wonderful grandmother and makes each grandchild feel special and unique. they love to sit on her lap and read a story or make something in the kitchen or sit on the back porch.

my mom is pretty much the coolest thing that has ever happened in our family's life and i am so grateful for her. i love you, mom, and wish you the happiest of birthdays--thanks for being YOU!!

10 comments:

Jod Jas Curtis said...

Hey Girly-- I just found your wicked AweSomE Blog! Yeah, I'm a blog hopper, sorry but I have an addiction. Your blog has had me laughing so hard, & it doesn't help that it's like after midnight. Anywho, love the pics & info on here.
Loves
Jodi

Jori said...

Awwww that was such a great post! I love when people really appreciate and love their mothers. You are right, your mommy is a looker! Happy Birthday to your sweet mommy!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Happy Birthday to your pretty mom! I wish I knew how to sew.

Megal said...

Happy Birthday Mom! You really the greatest person ever! I love you so much and am so thankful for your example in my life and for the endless love you show to me and everyone around you.

Lesley said...

She sounds like an amazing person! Happy birthday to her!

Joellen said...

Love you Lana! Hope you have a wonderful Birthday and that you feel better soon.
Thanks for treating me like I was one of your own. I love pretending that you and Derrill are my St. George parents.
XOXO

Mia said...

Happy Birthday Mindi's MOM!!! I hope that you have a fantastic birthday.

Melissa said...

Happy birthday...sounds like we share a birthday with 2 wonderful parents!!

tiburon said...

Happy Birthday to your mom! My hubby and his fam are from San Antonio. She is smokin by the by.

R-Eight said...

I was just thinking about your mom last night when I made cinnamon rolls. She recruited us one night to make them and taught me how. You were mad but I had fun working with her. I think of her and that day every time I make them. Happy birthday Lana.