i used to love dance party usa


(mindi's 1987 contribution to bad 80's hair.......)

i screamed out loud when i saw this video gem on friday--i can't tell you how many times i have asked fellow children of the 80's if they remember "dance party usa" and NOBODY does.....i've started to think that maybe it was something i made up in my own head. or perhaps just the after-effects of a bad robitussin trip?? i even tried to find clips of it on the internet, but to not avail...

but now, there is PROOF that i am not so crazy. this show was what happened when you took american bandstand, then lowered the age to 13 years old, and threw in some bad styling choices and a little new jersey trailer trash. it was my FAVORITE!!! this clip is particularly satisfying: it has just about every crime committed on behalf of fashion in the 1980's. REALLY.

my favorite is how the cameraman keeps coming back to pan over that slutty girl in the way- short jean mini-skirt that we all seemed to know. and the girl who decided to wear her aerobics outfit.....and the d-bag who cut the sleeves off his tshirt and put shoulder pads underneath. oh, and the girl with the biggest on-screen hair i have ever seen.....i could go on and on.
for 2 minutes and 50 seconds that will literally change your life, click HERE

16 comments:

Trina said...

Holy Big Hair!

tiburon said...

Not only do I remember Dance Party USA - but I think I amember Kelly Ripa being on it.
I so wanted to be on it.

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

I have a dance party usa oom in my house - im ready to rock

Anonymous said...

LOL (hysterically) because that brings back way too many memories of yesteryear!! ha-ha. The mall hair and the mullets. Too much.
Thanks for sharing the flashback.

Sharla said...

Two words: Awe. Some.

rachel said...

OMG! I TOTALLY remember Dance Party USA~ Micah loves to dance now so we turn on the digital music channel and do our own D.P. USA sometimes...I will have to show him the clip and tell him that's where I got the idea from :) I love that the best dancer is that little 12 year old white boy with the big glasses and mullet! What a great way to start out the day!!!! You always rock my morning Mindi :)

carly k said...

That was painful to watch...

Anonymous said...

I graduated in 1987 and this definitely struck a chord! The hair, the leggins, the huge freakin hair (oh, did I already say that?) and the white man overbite dance moves!! Step touch, step touch, step touch. It's been a long haul trying to get out of the 80's dance moves even though there wasn't much to learn. Holy cow how funny!

hoLLy said...

loved it! i was born in 1980, so my teen years were in the late nineties but i actually remember that show too! i guess i watched it when i was like 9 or 10 once? anyways, thanks for sharing that clip. it was hot.

Collette said...

way too funny, I don't remember that show but I would have loved it had I known it was on.. thanks again for making me laugh out loud..

Omgirl said...

Oh. My. Goll. That is such a flashback. How did we think we were the absolute HEIGHT of fashion back then??? We were hideous! My favorite from that video was the girl wearing garment bottoms and a huge silky silver shirt buttoned all the way to the top (which I also had and loved). I was never able to get my hair that big. So jealous.

Mia said...

Oh my! That was hilarious and I love the guy in the mickey mouse t-shirt. He has street cred with that outfit on!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Your hair was Uh-mazing! I am so glad that was documented.

I am so glad short shirts are not in style any more, that video is awfully painful to watch. :)

simply kris said...

I miss my LA Gears and doubled socks. After watching that, I feel a need to go find a banana clip.

Jaci said...

I had to come out of my secret blurking place to say that This is totally how I remember you...and idolized you! I just knew you were secretly a superstar, because you looked like one and I wanted to be just like you. and now look at you... you ARE famous!
I love your blog! thanks for the laughs

palmtreelover said...

I remember... shoot I thought I perminately blocked that out of my head.
I knew a girl that actually was on the show. Those were the days...couldn't get enough Aqua Net to achieve the "mall chick" look. Thanks for the post!
Chow
c