katie is 14 and FABULOUS

no way can i have a girl who is turning 14 years old. or, "WAY."

hb to my little katie bird who was my first born beautiful little indian baby. she had a head full of dark, curly hair and the prettiest olive skin. i was a young, vain mother who was worried about birthing an 'ugly child', so i can't believe that someone upstairs didn't teach me a lesson by sending me an unfortunate looking baby. instead, i hit the jackpot and was totally in love.

being first child,kaitlyn has been the guinea pig, which i want to apologize to her publicly for. katie, we haven't been perfect parents, but you know how much your dad and i love you, and we hope that fact will make up for all the different ways we've scarred you over the years.

katie is such a sweet, compassionate, good girl with a great head on her shoulders. she has a little bit of her mother's obsessiveness about things periodically going on. over her years she has been obsessed with all things: titanic, moulin rouge, phantom of the opera, twilight, maximum ride, prison break, and someone with the initials b.s.

kaitlyn gets as brown as a bear in the summer--one of my favorite stories is when she was about 6 years old, her little friend kennedy was talking to her mom about what they'd learned about martin luther king, jr, and the civil rights movement. kennedy said to her mother (kristin), "mom, i'm so glad that we live in this time and not back then, because i wouldn't have been able to sit next to katie on the bus."

katie, i love you so much! i am so glad that you were sent to our family! you make us proud of all the great things you accomplish. i'm sorry that you have a mother who likes to embarrass you while you roll your eyes and say, "mom! you are such a dork!" hb sweetie.


we celebrated katie's birthday with a dinner last night--here she is with her wanksta uncle neal:


aunt megan made you the cutest ginormous cupcake cake:


lots of love from your "peeps":

30 comments:

Hildie said...

A 14-year-old? Dang Mindi, how old are you?

Megal said...

HB Katie! Love you! p.s. that was a cupcake not an ice cream cone cake. that good huh? :)

Anonymous said...

My oldest just turned 16 in March, so I feel your pain!! She is a doll! Kudos to the cake maker! Looks like an "over the tipsy topper!"

Mindi said...

fixed it aunt megan. what do i know? i just eat cake.

Christie said...

She's gorgeous! Happy birthday to your teenager (I get scared just thinking about having one of my own)

{Annie N.} said...

Hb Katie! Love her so much that I like to pretend that she is my neice. Cute cake Megs. I might have to borrow that cake pan. :)

Anonymous said...

She's a beautiful girl Mindi, way to go!

Love the ginormous cupcake!

Lesley said...

What a babe!

rachel said...

You definitely do some good work, lady....I am not looking forward to my kidlets becoming the dreaded "T" word, cause we all know about kharma & and I am due some bad ju-ju for how I behaved when I was that age :)

Misty said...

Happy Birthday! I am wayyyy jealous of her cake.

*KaTiE cLoVeR* said...

hahahahah thanks mom, you rock. it was way fun. thank you for everything mom.

Joellen said...

Love you Katie! Hope you have a great day.

tammy said...

She's beautiful - just like her mom. Wish my skin got that brown.

Tiffany said...

What the? My oldest's birthday is today too!

Happy birthday to yours!

melissamarchant said...

Happy B-day Katie! Adorable cake meg! You should be teaching not taking wilton classes!

Holly H. said...

Wow! Lots of bdays lately. Happy Birthday Katie!

Jod Jas Curtis said...

WE Love Katie girl in YW! She is so sweet & friendly. Woah- 14? You are getting old MInDi!!!- haha, yeah right. What would we do without your blog?!

luvs lots
jodi

Amy said...

Yeah! Happy Birthday Katie! Do you realize that Mitch and Katie are only 1-2 years away from how old we were when we became friends? Make you really excited for them doesn't it! I wonder if huge white GUESS bags will come back in style...HAHA! Happy day... Man that makes you OLD having such an OLD daughter. I am glad I was a 10 year old SLUT when my first son was born and that I am only 24.

Ida said...

awww HB such a beautiful young lady you have there.

Michael said...

You must be a lot older than your friend Amy. Wait, can you call someone a friend that puts less comments on your blog than you yourself? I noticed you on your own top ten list for comments. I guess you have to get them somehow.

Lemon Annie said...

Is that the original Pizza Factory I spy in the background? Love that place!

Mia said...

Happy Happy Birthday Kaitlyn! You are a beautiful girl. It is so fun to hear about all the great things your mom says about you, you are obviously a fantastic daughter and sister. Enjoy the day!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Happy Happy Birthday Kaitlyn Dear! Such a cute girl and sounds like an awesome big sis! Love the cake!

Devri said...

Mindi she is Beautiful... Hey I need a huge favor, we are entering one of our daughters in the Parents Magazine, please check my blog and then post it for me, she needs like a million votes, and you are the one who could give her that chance oh so powerful one.. Thank you, thank you, I will burn you a island CD jams if you do this for me... you rock!! Please please....

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Katie girl!!! Glad you are mine. Love you so much.

tiburon said...

Happy Happy Birthday Kaitlyn!! She is a GORGEOUS girl :) And that cake is off the chain

Hacking it up said...

Happy Birthday!! What a beauty!! The cake looks awesome too!!

My oldest is turning 14 in Sept...when did I get this old?...

hoLLy said...

happy birthday! she is beautiful! i envy that tan. my girls have great tans too. obviously not from me.... its the guamanian in them. those stinkin lucky kids.

Jennie Minor said...

hb! I can't believe she is 14 and old enough to go to the stake dances. She is seriously such a babe. And that cake looks amazing! Good job Megan!

Omgirl said...

What a babe. You did good, Mindi.