we spend our summers at the swimming pool



if you live in the desert and see that thermometer hover between 103-110 for 3 months straight, you can do one of two things: hibernate inside next to the a/c, or swim. really, that's just about it.
luckily for me, i've always had either my mom's pool or russ's hotel pool or kamari's pool to swim in, and i learned long ago one simple fact: swimming with my children is aLOT more fun if my friends are there to entertain me. lucky for me, also, is the beautiful thing that my friend's kids are MY kid's preferred playmates. fate was kind to me when she bestowed that precious gift upon my head. either that, or we all just got knocked up around the same time. 

when the kids were younger, we would make it to the pool at least 3 times a week. the children played (or floated) for hours and we moms got killer tans and lots of gossip in. fat, thin, pregnant, nursing with ginormous boobs, cellulite, jelly belly: these are all welcome at our pool.

we've managed somehow in the more than 9 summers that we've been swimming to NOT have anybody drown. but there has always been a child, at the start of swim season without fail, that goes in without the floaties and we have to fish them out. we never leave a man behind.




katie swimming at mom's--2002

8 comments:

tiburon said...

I love swimming too - if I had a rockin Mindi body it would be higher on my list. The sheer joy of it is cancelled out by my disdain for the bathing suit that is required...

Hildie said...

I'm looking forward to the day when my kids can all swim. Or at least have a slight fear of the water. Right now they are so young they just go near the water with some sort of death wish.

I had my kids in odd years (95, 97, 99, 01, 05). All my friends had them in even years. And they all had kids of the opposite gender too. Don't know why it worked out that way, but it did. Thus, no BFF's to go swimming with.

Have a swim date with a new Mom/Friend tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Jori said...

I've fished so many kids off the bottom. It's all part of it right? I'm with you. Swimming is a must in this barren wasteland.

Anonymous said...

Too fun and great picture of Katie!

Anonymous said...

I was fortunate too to have a friend with a pool. We went in high school and then later on when we all had kids many times. I used to tell the kids (because we would always order pizza) to chew, swallow, digest and poop before getting back in the pool!

Amy said...

AAAHHHH... THose were the days. Swimming was always a part of summer when I was growing up. Those were the good old days at the B8... My boys got so tan. When we moved to Idaho we went to the water park EVERY day and I was so tan. Now I am stuck...white calling my friends while they are all swimming.

Holly H. said...

I love going to the pool too... just a great summer day activity!

Omgirl said...

I have a pool too--it's 18 inches high and 5 feet in diameter, and the water is slightly warmer than ice. Aren't you jealous?