our mom made us cry or guess who's coming to dinner?

TRUE STORY:
one sunday morning when i was about 5 years old and my sister, loni, was 8, my mother came into our bedroom and woke us up with some exciting news: somebody IMPORTANT was coming to sunday dinner!

we were immediately hooked--who was it? we asked. was it somebody we knew? or was it somebody we always wanted to know? my mother just smiled and said that it would be a surprise, but that we had a lot of getting ready to do for our v.i.p. guest. she was preparing a very special meal and we got to attend!

my mom told us to get dressed in our sunday best and make sure that our shoes were shined and that our teeth were brushed (a stretch in those days--yikes.) and that we had our room cleaned and bed made.

when we were done she had us come into the kitchen and get out our best china and our REAL silverware--you remember that kind, don't you? the set that was in the fancy box lined with velvet. the kind you had to wash by hand because you couldn't put it in the dishwasher, thus creating the ILLUSION that it was even that much more special than the lowly everyday
silverware? yup, we brought them out, along with our crystal goblets and a centerpiece for the middle of the table fashioned from paper and glue and lots and lots of love, desperation and anticipation.

mom announced at 9:00 a.m. that our v.i.p. guest was supposed to arrive at 12:00 noon. by 11:00 a.m. we were sitting on top of the couch facing the big front window, watching in anticipation--who could it be? by this point we had narrowed it down to just two likely candidates (and this is no lie): jimmy carter, the president of the united states, or spencer w kimball, the president of the church of jesus christ of latter day saints. we were convinced that a motorcade was about to descend upon our tiny rogers circle home complete with limos bedecked with flags. and ticker tape.

i remember my mom trying to calm us down as our neighbor, cherrie wittwer, came to our door to borrow something--when we told her that jimmy carter was coming for lunch i remember that she looked quizzically at my mother and then they moved off into the kitchen to speak in hushed voices.

by the time the clock reached 12:10 p.m. we were worried that perhaps their cars had taken a wrong turn? my mom told us that we should go in and sit at the table and get ready. we could hardly tear ourselves away from the window, fearful we would miss the procession, but mom insisted.

we sat down at the table and noticed that mom had her big easel out next to the table with posters on it. she turned to us and told us that, indeed, somebody VERY IMPORTANT was at the dinner table today. somebody who was more important to her and dad than anyone (and you can see where this is going)  and then she flipped over the poster board with a flourish and it read: "that somebody important is YOU!!!"
WE WERE THE V.I.P.??? loni and i sat there in stunned silence. we looked from our dad. to our mom. back to our dad again, who was laughing and that is when the tears came. we cried and cried and CRIED, while my dad and mom laughed and laughed and tried to comfort us. my mother explained that we were such an important part of our family that we were always considered "v.i.p.'s".....we we pretty sure that we weren't buying it.


this story has been lovingly told and retold in our family's history. it made an impression and it was a lesson we didn't forget--we WERE the important guests at my parent's dinner table, and we were (eventually) grateful for it.

even if it meant that we didn't get to dine with jimmy.

but if you knew how i feel about my parents then you'll know that dining with my parents was WAY better.  truly.

40 comments:

carly k said...

That story is adorable! I love it and will totally use it on my kids someday!

Freakin' love the family portrait! I wish I had that good of style! LOL!

Also, how the crap is this a post from Monday the 15th? It's still Sunday. I'm confused.

And I'm bloggin. Whatchoo doin? Lets hang out this week...

Mindi said...

carly--it's magic.

Pedaling said...

once again, i am smiling....
at the story, the picture and even the disappointment...
but what a great story and knowledge that you are the vip's in the life of your parents...

love your story telling and your perspective...very funny & entertaining.

Petunia said...

That story is PRECIOUS! And so was your family! No wonder you turned out so well...I swear I'm NOT being sarcastic!! I'm NOT!

tiki_lady said...

how beautiful for your parets to teach that to you. i will do this with mine.

Vanessa said...

Do your dads pants match your dresses? That is awesome.

tara said...

dude.

you were totally gypt.


in my opinion.

:)

Kristina P. said...

I know see where you get your sense of humor from. That's hilarious.

Trina said...

Aw, I just got all teary eyed. What a sweet fun story!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

What a great story, such wise people those two are. :)

Devri said...

That is a memory for sure!!!

Your parents are to die for...

And I would have love to see the look on your faces, where was the camera for that huh?

Melanie said...

Oh my gosh! My parents did something so oddly similar!!! But ours was a staged wedding reception -- where we all didn't know what was going to happen, but we had to get dressed up for a special dinner that night...

Then we proceeded to marry cardboard cutout men (4 girls -- no brothers ... just like your little brood!). My parents' point was to teach us about what sort of guy to look for and to help us prepare for running a household, so they even gave us shower gifts! Like a set of watermelon glasses and a pitcher, and towels with crocheted tops. I remember being so weirded out by the whole thing, but my sisters all thought it was fun so I felt like the brat. Now that I'm an adult I think it's actually a good idea though! Maybe I'd just skip the 'wedding photos' with the cardboard guy.

Chris and Tara said...

I'm not sure how I've come to be on your blog (you know how blog-hopping can go) but I loved this story. It made me laugh forever. Too bad you didn't get to meet Jimmy. Ü Have a great day!

Sharla said...

I love all your posts hard-- but this one might be my favorite!

b. said...

ok, that's all sweet and all....but I'd a been pissed. Just sayin'.

Lesley said...

Love it! I couldn't have kept it up when I saw how excited you two were. I would have told you!

tiburon said...

That is the cutest story ever! :)

Hildie said...

Suckers!!!

For more Olan Mills goodness:

http://listoftheday.blogspot.com/2007/09/great-olan-mills-photos.html

R-Eight said...

So funny! I remember those pics. Sa-weet!

simply kris said...

my Jack, he'd have grandiose thoughts of Santa, Leprechauns, Count Dracula and such.
My Luke, he'd tell me there's no such thing as a V.I.P.
My Katey, she thinks everyting is about her and would know from the get-go.
However, I might try this.
I had a dream about you, Mindi. We were BFF's.

tammy said...

That is such a cute story. And so funny that you were crying about it only being you.

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

sweet

Whitney R said...

Haha, so funny.

Christie said...

That is the cutest story ever. And I absolutely love the old family pictures in the tree. Priceless

Misty said...

This is such a cute idea. What a great mom!

rachel said...

First: that picture is priceless! and B. Your mom is the best.mom.ever! What a great thing to do for you two....

Anonymous said...

Correction: we were closer to 10 and 8 because there *is* a picture of this event somewhere...I think Mom still has it...

That being said, Lana and Derrill ARE the best parents: they always make us feel loved and safe. Home is not a house: it's where your parents are.

hoLLy said...

what awesome parents-that is so sweet! okay, so it wasn't "sweet" to you at the time. it just seemed like a sick trick, but what a lesson on how important you were to them. :) i'm still laughing that you thought jimmy carter was coming to dinner. . .priceless.

gina bina said...

I'm not gonna lie...for a second there I thought your mom was going to reveal a picture of Jesus.

In contrast, my dad used to rip his napkin underneath the table into a mask...and then hold it up to his face and scare us to death. "Napkin Man!" he would scream. I still have nightmares about it.

Mia said...

That is so sweet and funny. I love that you were convinced that it was going to be the president, but how true that you are special to your parents. What a great story.

Omgirl said...

Oh that story is a CLASSIC. Hahaha, how easily kids are suckered in. And I know that I would have been disappointed too. Despite the point of it being to boost my self-esteem, I would have just been mad not to meet the President.

samiam said...

I don't know if I want to laugh or cry for you. That is too funny, and kinda mean. I guess I can see what they were doing but geez that is a lot of hupla!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

Loved this story! I can't decided if I liked the story or the pictures better! :-)
Sounds like you had wise parents!

Renee said...

I love that they laughed! The best parents are the ones who find creative ways to entertain themselves. Your parents sound really great! Thanks for the story!!!

Kristen said...

What a great story. Love it!

melissamarchant said...

Loved this story! you have the best parents! I'm going to have to remember this!

BTW I didn't ever get that email with the conf. number. I'm so sorry to be such a pain. I will give you some extra jewels in nov for all your trouble! my email is melissamarchant@yahoo.com

Thanks a ton! Melissa

CoLiE-O said...

too funny! i wouldve been pissed too! jimmy carter!!

kourtney said...

Oh Mindi, I have been away too long, but I knew that you would be there for me. This time not with your quick wit and humorous disposition, but with your soft, sweet nature. You are always a VIP in my world! (Yes I"m from another planet). I even hyped up your giveaway on my blog. That's how much I like you. I promise it's not to up my numbers to win.

Holly H. said...

No wonder you have the sense of humor you do! Your parents sound awesome. I think I might try that trick on my boys... except I don't have "special silverware".

The Miller's said...

I am laughing so hard right now!!! that story is the best. I love the pictures. They look like the Miller Family photos. Did your mom make your dads pant with the left overs from your dress?
Kenny