cleaning out the toyroom and abbey and mia's clothes closets or NO MORE WIRE HANGERS!!!

so, THIS was me this weekend. really, it was. just ask my kids.

do you ever just go along on cruise control on your housework? and then you wake up one morning and realize that it's a HOT MESS at your house, and you have nobody to blame but yourself??

yeah, that's been me.

now, i am a fairly clean person. i don't like living in chaos or mess--it makes it hard to think and function. so it's not like i had pizza shoved in the dvd player or poisonous shrooms growing in the kitchen sink. but i HAD been holding out for management when it came to mopping my wood floors. i finally realized that it WASN'T GONNA MOP ITSELF, so i caved.

i also ventured down into the basement toy room, which i generally try to avoid. i have the girls clean it for one of their weekly jobs and.........let's just say that we have EXTREMELY different versions of 'CLEAN'. silver lining? we found mia's pajamas and a library book. raincloud? my cell phone was not in attendance.

the other dreaded task was mia and abbey's closet, and it was every bit as bad as i feared. how can two little girls amass such a massive collection of CRAP?? the biggest offenders were crayons, sidewalk chalk, and kid's meal toys. it's my personal opinion that they all have the abilities to procreate like rabbits. on meth.

as i was mucking things out, this was the expression on my face:

and then my head did this:



so we've been cleaning. rilly, rilly hard. and my man should get a gold medal for all of the "honey-do's" that he checked off the list. but the thing that really chaps my hide is the fact that this will last for about 3 minutes, and then i'll have to start the whole process again. such are the joys of motherhood.

next time i'm just gonna take a match and some lighter fluid to the whole shebang.

that is, after i've checked to make sure we have rilly, rilly great insurance.

24 comments:

tiburon said...

How the heck can YOUR house get dirty!??! It was perfection when I was there. A place for everything and everything in its place :)

I can totally relate though! Good on you for getting through it all.

Vanessa said...

Yes, that was me this weekend. I don't think I had cleaned the bathrooms in a month. I was so happy when everything was clean and tidy. And then today after lounging around watching conf. all day. . .it looks like i didn't do a thing. Why bother?

Tori :) said...

I get so frustrated with clutter. I am constantly tripping over stuff in the floor, etc... and it drives me CRAZY!!

Unknown said...

I blame the kids, rilly, rilly, its all them....

Trina said...

Oh, I'm the same way! I can't stand clutter. Stuff. Junk. Blech!
It drives me crazy until it gets taken care of.
We started the same process this weekend. I already feel like Nice Mommy again. Tis a good feeling.

Shannon said...

Are you sure you weren't at my house this weekend?
Just replace the names with Marley and Skyler. I have yet to mop my wood floors. I'm waiting for the mopping fairy to do it.

Pedaling said...

that's got to feel good and i sure hope that your back to your non-scarey self, today.

tammy said...

Was it the maid's week off?

Mikki said...

I am SO with you on the lighter fluid and a match, especially come Monday morning.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

I've entertained thoughts of building our next house to be self-cleaning like an oven so we can just lock the doors, set the timer, and have automatic pressure washing jets descend from the seilings and hose everything down to a nice sanitized sheen.

Until then, I've resigned myself to living in a pit of scattered toy pieces and strewn laundry.

Anonymous said...

I feel you, my maid didn't show up either! I have yet to venture down in the basement because I am DREADING it.

Christie said...

I can relate too - stuff just happens so gradually and then one day I look around and realize I"m living in squallor.

rachel said...

I was sick a little while back and the girl just was a tiny tornado each day. I would try to drag myself up to clean, but no dice. I can't think/sleep/live/blog! when my house is messy. I think I might have a little bit of the OCD :) P.S those pictures scare me!!!

Ida said...

oooh nooo. I get on a cleaning spree then I have like 6 bags o crap to launch outside. G doesn't like it when I clean.

Whitney R said...

This weekend was my cleaning weekend too! My house was a disaster. I wrote a post about it on Friday night. But I'm glad to report it looks somewhat presentable now.

Ammie said...

We did the same thing this weekend and I was a real bear about it. I was even more pissed to find that all the piles of clutter were MINE and that I couldn't push the blame onto someone else.

simplynotso said...

My daughter's closet is like that right now and I can't bare to start it!!

Harlene said...

As I was digging through my younger son's room this weekend, I was actually thinking about how many other's were doing the same thing.

I can't bring myself to hit my teen boys' rooms yet...I may need to bring a priest.

Amy said...

Yesterday was a cleaning frenzy because Cheryl and her trophy man were coming over so we had to make them think we were somewhat civilized. NOw I know one reason I like to entertain... it motivates me to clean. Thank goodness Caylor was here to intercept the freak out I pulled when I open Jackson's closet. I too had the head spins ( and not from drinking too much)

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

If that's what it's like living with girls...can you imagine living with a house full of me?
This post was HYSTERICAL! Another A+ post!

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

If that's what it's like living with girls...can you imagine living with a house full of me?
This post was HYSTERICAL! Another A+ post!

Anonymous said...

No matter HOW many times I've gone over how to clean something and clean it WELL, they still do it all half-a!!! I get extremely ticked but on the other hand I'm grateful they at least try and help out!

Joseph and Katie said...

I feel like I can not keep up! I hate how terrible my house looks and it is a no win battle! My kids get up every morning and do their jobs before school(bless their hearts) and then my two year old breaths and we have to start over! I hate "Martha" Mom homes that mine will never look like! How do they do it? My husband is awesome though and doesn't mind doing the mopping or dishes. He really is amazing and I enjoy working with him in the home. Then I feel guilt like I am some sort of lame house wife, because he has been at work all day and then comes home to this, but I don't fret for too long! UGH! Why does it always take company to make me do anything around here. Am I lazy? Tired? Qualified to exist? I think the match and lighter fluid idea is awesome!

Omgirl said...

Ugh, cleaning the kitchen floor is my absolute WORST dreaded job. I will sweep several times a day w/o complaint. But when it coems time to mop, I just avoid it. Fortunately, my darling husband actually likes to mop. so when things get bad enough, he huffs in--that's the only part I dont' like. The huffing about it.--and does a kick ass job of making it shine like the top of the Crystler building.