do this or get dead: modern-day chain letter or mindi and russ get sucked into a ponzi scheme


my email inbox has a special place in it's heart for spam. lots of it. so i've learned to navigate around the junk emails and hit "delete" in a fast and efficient manner.

what i haven't done is learned how to stop my 11 year old from sending us every modern-day form of the chain letter known to man. chandler is a firm believer that, by accosting friends and loved ones via email, she will find out the name of her true love, make a million dollars in 14 days, keep a little girl in peru from dying, and eliminate cellulite from trouble areas.
but her latest email was just a little more over the top than usual. it read:

On December 24, 2006 at 8 oclock in the morning, a young 14 year old boy by the name of Scott Jackson was found dead. Doctors couldnt come up with the cause of his death. His mother checked his emails to see if she could figure out what happened. Turns out he was still signed into his Yahoo email account. She found he had gone to sleep after he read and didnt send a chain letter about a little girl that kills you in your sleep with no natural cause of death. This is the email she read: My name is Ofelia Heras. Im 16 years old. Im a murderer. I have no face. When you look at me youll die immediately.You have 900 seconds to send this to 24 friends or I will visit you tonight. Do this or get dead.

first of all, i was like, "EWWWWHHH. creepy." then i had to spend a moment wondering what kind of trainwreck english class this person had enrolled in, and THEN i remembered that they were in 7th grade. perhaps even a really advanced 5th grader? and lastly, i spent a good 30 seconds laughing at my 2nd born, thinking about what a gullible little fish she is.

that is, until i remembered THE MOTHER OF ALL CHAIN LETTERS that russ and i fell for-- hard. like flat on our faces.

we were newly married and multi-level marketing was all the big rage. the way to make the big $$$ was to have people working for you in your DOWNLINE!! working for you even when you are not!! letting the POWER OF THE PYRAMID work for you!!

we received a letter that talked about a great opportunity. mail 1 dollar to 100 different people that were on this list. in return, you had the potential to get upwards of $100, 000!!

we knew it was too good to be true. we knew most people wouldn't do it. but the way we figured it, if only 5 percent of the people actually did it, we could make 1000 dollars. being the optimists that we were, we mailed out 100 envelopes to 100 people with 1 dollar in each.


6 months later, we had received 3 dollars.



RUSS AND MINDI: 0


27 comments:

Physcokity said...

"Do this or get dead." LOL are you serious?

I don't know that I will sleep well tonight because of that...thanks.

That's also horrific english so hopefully I'll be able to laugh it off even though I'll be sleeping with the lights on ;)

tiburon said...

Just when I think it isn't possible to love you more - you go and pull this out of your bag of tricks.

I don't know what increases the love. That you sent the money out or that you admitted it.

Either way - today is ALLLL about Mindi.

Tiffany said...

First, that e-mail is awesome. Brilliant. "Get dead." What a good way to put it.

Second, the sending of the $1 raises you to a whole new level of People I Adore. I admire that kind of optimism. I want you on my team.

tammy said...

I love that you sent the dollar.

And I love that you just admitted it to blog world.

We should all send you a dollar just for that.

CJ, The Purple Diva said...

I've got a condo for rent for 650 a week. You send me 4000 and I'll send you back the change! LOL
This one cracked me up!
Hey, how come I never got that email Chandler got? Am I not popular enough??!!!

Josh, Lindsie, and Ava said...

Guess what...I would have done the same thing!

P.S. how did I get kicked off your blog list...do you hate me?

Vanessa said...

In college, i paid 90 bucks to some company that promised to get me free money to pay for school. After waiting forever and them not returning my calls, they sent me a photcopied list of alleged grants that I could get. . .none of them existed. WTF.

rachel said...

that is one big heap of fail!

Anonymous said...

OH OH OH I can't just stock your blog anymore. I have to speak and and tell you I seriously laughed my butt off over this one. Why you ask. My ex-husband fell for the same stinkin' scam just after we were married. To this day he doesn't know I removed the money from each envelope as he stuffed them and handed to me to seal. He couldn't figure out why it didn't work. hhhmmm I'll never tell!

gina bina said...

Seriously, I've been reading your blog for about a year now...and I can't believe you have been keeping this from me! I'm laughing so hard I'm almost in years. Laughing WITH you, not at you. We've all been a sucka for something, I'm just not willing to admit it yet.

Anonymous said...

You seriously are cracking me up and I love you more for admitting that to all your fellow bloggers!

Aimee said...

HILARIOUS post! I think I'm going to have to send this to a friend of mine who is all about the MLM... still.

Holly H. said...

What in the world? That is a creepy email.

I to remember the money chain... say back in about 1993? Funny.

Joseph and Katie said...

I thought the "Get Dead" chain letter was a bit creepy.
I love that you too fell for the
$1.oo chain letter and let everyone know. You are just too cool.

Ida said...

haha I heart you more for laying it all out there. One of my first so called job interviews in the big city was for a pyramid scheme. It took me about 40 minutes to figure it out. I was young and dumb. oh and did I ever tell you I was a telemarketer for a day?

Whitney R said...

I don't think I ever sent chain letters.

But this one is funny.

My husband wouldn't have let me do the money one. He never lets me do ANYTHING with money. Mostly.

Mia said...

Oh Mindi! I love your optimism :)

Renee said...

Oh no, that is so bad!

Harlene said...

Fabulous! You are my hero! I would certainly send you a dollar, although I love the chick you took the money out and never told her hubby, priceless.

Steph said...

The coolest thing about that is that you AND Russ were totally into it! How hilarious!

Holly said...

i totally love this.

chandler reminds me of myself when i was little. my mom wanted to murder me but i simply HAD to forward chain letters. i didn't want to be cursed for 12 years!

Rusti said...

That chain letter is uber creepy. Seriously, I got the chills.

Kristi said...

I love crepy chain emials!! And warnin emails, too. They always make me laugh.

And I know I said this in my last comment, but catching up on your blog melts my ice cold heart--You make me laugh no-freakin-stop...

Love it!

Omgirl said...

I got that one in college. I think I was 18. And it was $2 and you sent it to 10 people. I think the jackpot was only a few hundred dollars, and I got ZERO back. But someone out there got $2 from me. Lucky.

Over The Tipsy Top Design said...

Thanks a lot!! Whatever!! Bite me, you just have fun at your own fabulous boutique that I here is going to be so fun, and your nice warm weather..... WHATEVER!!!! LOL
Have a good one, Tonia

Christie said...

hey - if you figure that you made $3 from your $1, then you got a 300 percent returen. That is a pretty good investment if you ask me;)

. said...

Have you ever introduced her to Snopes.com?

:-)