a barbra streisand christmas and mia's current fave holiday tunes

i'm a big fan of christmas music. my mom and dad used to have a sa-weeet soundsystem in our home that had a 8 track deck AND a record player (only the best for us!). my mom would bring out the christmas music with the decorations and i grew up with the sounds of barbra streisand's a christmas album and the mormon tabernacle choir playing in the background.

i loved coming home from school to find the music playing and the fire blazing. it was a wonderful memory of my childhood, and i only have to hear one of those songs and i'm right back in my ditto jeans, applying my bonnie bell lipsmacker gloss and writing love letters to shaun cassidy.

so i shouldn't be surprised that my children feel the same way about the christmas music WE listen to. but i was, a bit, and tickled as well when mia started belting out wham's "last christmas" the other day. she knew all the words, and sang along during the entire song, placing lots of extra emphasis on "i'll give it to someone SPEEESSSSSSHHHHHUUUUUULLLL!"


some of mia's current christmas favs are:

she won't be home--erasure

green christmas--barenaked ladies (grinch soundtrack)
(you're welcome for the sweet japanese anime video.)

better do it right--smashmouth (grinch soundtrack as well)
(and you're welcome for this one as well.)

winter wonderland--annie lennox of eurythmics

do they know it's christmas?--band aid

the first noel--n'sync



a few albums i would recommend highly? windham hill holiday guitar collection, josh groban noel, n'sync home for christmas (don't hate. seriously. it's REALLY GOOD.) and jars of clay christmas songs.


what good ones am i missing? are there any that you would add to the list?


this is me and my brother, ryan, on christmas morning 1978. i'd like you to notice my superstar barbie corvette complete with superstar barbie AND superstar ken ridin' dirty. AND my stylish bathrobe that lana made for me that matched my sister loni. don't be jealous of our gold couch.

30 comments:

Cassie said...

Um...I think my family had the matching chair to your sofa. I had the Banana flavored Bonnie Bell lipsmacker (super shiny), and our jammin' 8 track/record player was in a cabinet that was about 5 feet long! Those were the days! I think 1978 is the year that I got my Donnie and Marie "Barbies". I'm totally with you on the N'Sync Christmas songs.

Holly said...

i love the shedaisy christmas album and you can't forget mariah carey. (i don't even like either of those normally but for some reason their christmas albums really do it for me.

oh and i definitely own clay aiken's christmas album too...

gosh i am such a nerd.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I want a matching robe with Mindi...so jealous.

All the classics, I tell ya. ;)

Amy M. said...

The gold couch, a must have in those days. Lets hope that it never comes back in style.

Jod Jas Curtis said...

Umm, HELLO we had the exact same couch- our mom's must have the same great taste!
I looove the Josh Groban CD you gave me last year :) Also, your kids might like "Veggie Tales, Star of Christmas" it is cute & pretty hilarious all in one-- score!
Luvs

Brooke said...

My favorite, favorite is Sarah McLaughlin (sp?) Christmas CD. I also love the Carpenters christmas and Anne Murray (don't laugh at me, they remind me of my childhood).

Vanessa said...

I love this time of year because if my kids act up, all I have to do is sing "you better watch out!" Then they freak out and start behaving.

Anonymous said...

Oh Mindi ;{

I'm officially disappointed in you!

What about the Anne Murray Christmas? Do you not have it? Ohhhhhhhh, its the bomb!

I love Christmas music too. My collection grows EVERY year by leaps and bounds!

Anonymous said...

Must have that poster and I think we grew up in the same household!

rachel said...

We have these "A Very Special Christmas" CD's ...my fave songs are : Christmas in Hollis (cause I AM ghetto fabulous), No Doubt: Oi to the World, Smashing Pumpkins: Christmas Time. I highly recommend these ditties. I totally need to get the Grinch Soundtrack....never knew it was so good :) PS I am sooo jealous of your barbie corvette. My barbies had to drive around in my old roller skates.

tiburon said...

Love the God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen from the BNL and Sarah M.

Goodie.

Tiffany said...

Oh the nostalgia! Our family Christmas soundtrack was Roger Whitaker, Perry Como, and John Denver and the Muppetts. I'm not even kidding. It was the bEST!

gina bina said...

I'll have to check out some of those songs tonight! I hadn't heard of some of them. I'm beginning to get the itch for Christmas music even though BD says "not until after Thanksgiving."

Chanda said...

Props on coming out about N'Sync. I'm completely with you. And I would totally sport that bathrobe. Seriously.

Anonymous said...

What about the radio-made classic "Feliz Navidad" ??? My kids LOVE this song & I have to admit I really don't hate it until the 3rd time it gets played. Which does not take long since it gets the MOST AIR TIME EVER!!! My personal fav.s are actually the real classics like Bing Crosby-White Christmas (Including the movie), Bobby Helms-Jingle Bell Rock, Brenda Lee-Rockin around the Christmas Tree, Pretty much the entire TIME LIFE TREASURY OF CHRISTMAS ALBUM. (I know, I know, I scored a 1950's for my era on your little random test a while back. Is that so bad for a 70's born?) The one that makes me cry is Micheal McLains original recording of The Forgotton Carols. I have been going to this performance off & on since 1993. (Holy-long-post-batman.)

Anonymous said...

My in-laws still have that couch- and I 'm not even kidding! Sitting proudly in their front room with gold wallpaper, green shag carpet and matchig gold lamp.

Devri said...

MIndi, you rocked even back then..

I love all of those songs, but I heart the polar express cd right now.

Meghan said...

Is that shag carpet I spy?

Harlene said...

My personal fav is John Denver and the Muppets- A Christmas Together!

I listen to it over and over, and often in July, just because!

Be still my heart, did you have to live through growing out a Dorothy Hamill cut too?

Omgirl said...

Hey, Tib stole mine! Well, it is a good one. Also, I have to say that I also grew up on Barbara Striesand's Christmas album. Jingle Bells still goes through my head at Mach 5 every year about this time.

JenTix said...

I would have to say the Carpenters Christmas album is my favorite! And I have to say that I had the Donny and Marie dolls also.

Mia said...

I just bought the James Taylor Christmas album but I haven't listened to it yet... I loved the Sufjan Stevens Christmas album I bought last year.

Christie said...

I have to admit that I did NOT grow up listening to Christmas music. I really don't enjoy it much either. I like singing it in charch and all, but that is just about it. Sorry :(

Misty said...

I love Christmas music, especially Alabama Christmas (and I am not a huge country fan), but there's nothing that makes Christmas, like Christmas music. I just find it so sad when stupid people think they can do a song over and over again and make it sound well. UGH! Love the family pictures.

Trina said...

I'm partial to Elvis' Christmas album. Last Christmas by Wham is a fav, but I think I love the Jimmy Eat World version even more.

Loving the family picture, too!

Physcokity said...

Green Christmas-Barenaked Ladies is one of my favorites too!

Physcokity said...

To that I also add
Faith Hill- Where are you Christmas?
Trans Siberian Orchestra's version of Carol of the Bells
Elf Soundtrack
Christmas All Over Again- Tom Petty
and of course the entire score of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker

Renee said...

Last Christmas by Wham is my personal favorite.

carly k said...

We have been listening to Harry Connick Jr, The Rat Pack and that one Mariah Carrey song from Love Actually:)

carly k said...

And Dianna Krall. Good stuff!