my picture book of songs or my mother's songbook that was what my childhood was made of

whenever i think of presidents day, i think of this picture--it was in my mother's my picture book of songs that we had on our piano growing up.


we learned almost every song out of this songbook, and i spent hours and hours as a child looking through the illustrations and picking out my favorites.


the book was first published in 1947 by alene dalton, myriel ashton, & erla young. i purchased my own copy about 10 years ago at deseret book, but i think that you can only get them through private buyers now.

my favorite illustration, hands down, was always this valentines day one--



i blame my early dating relationship failures on this picture.

when the boy showed up SANS white doves, love letters, and a whistle, it was ALL DOWN HILL from there.

12 comments:

Shawn said...

Cool book---great story...

Love old books---I look for them regularly when I go antiquing.

Vennesa said...

I know this book. I think my kindergarten teacher had it. Does it have "Jumbo Elephant" and a song about a giraffe eating leaves from off the table in it? Or am I making this all up?

Jillyn said...

"choo choo choo...what's comin' down the track"....yeh, I'm with ya here. Best kid song book everrrr. My grand kids think I made up all those songs.

Omgirl said...

If you like that, I will have to show you a copy of Dean's book of nursery rhymes. You will STILL be fascinated with the pictures, even at 29. You are 29, right?

Chanda said...

Awe - I love old books. That looks like a keeper. I'm always on the hunt for a copy of "The Big Tidy Up", but can't find one for under $300. Bunk.

daisy said...

We had that book too, and looked at it like that too. Seriously. I'm not just saying that to make you like me. How funny! Thanks for the reminder.

veronica said...

I remember that book! It was always on the piano in my kindergarten class. I loved singing time.

Devri said...

I heart old books too.

Hildie said...

I used to have some Martha Washington paper dolls that I was madly in love with. I couldn't have cared less about old George, though.

Nancy said...

I love this book!! My grandma used to sit us around her piano and we would sing with her. My favorite is Pitter Pat. Good times. They reprinted a 50th anniversary copy that I found for sale at Day Murray Music in Murray, Utah. It is a wee bit expensive but it was a must buy. I love the illustrations, too.

Renee said...

This book gives me the weird feeling.

Randi said...

Oh my goodness!! I have that book, too!!
I'm going to have to find it, now!