mindi's confession: my very own stalker

now that confession booth is closed, i thought i would post my own confession:




so, about 2 months after i started blogging, i set up sitemeter on my account. it's a tracking system that will tell you who's on your blog in real time, which blogs referred to you, how many visitors, which cities they came from, etc.

i like to pop on several times a day to check out my blog's action (she gets around, you know) and check to see if anybody from antartica might be visiting that day.

but as i would get on each time, i noticed that there was somebody that was always, and i mean ALWAYS on my blog from goshen, indiana. and for 30 or 40 minutes at a time. sometimes a few hours.

i had no idea that i was so big in goshen! i imagined that i had a large following there, perhaps at a university or (dare i might dream?) the local bowling alley. i could picture them just enjoying my oh-so-witty bloggy style so incredibly much that perhaps they might just ask me to be grand marshal in their 4th of july parade. or at the very least, judge a beauty pageant. (i'd be SO good at that!)

but then, as EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. i would log on and see the same ip address in 'goshen, indiana' on my site, i started to get nervous.

i'd always joked about wanting my very own stalker, but i was starting to sweat. maybe this WAS the proverbial and mythical internet wack-job who was obsessed with my good looks and even gooder-looking children. they would increasingly step up their stalking until they snapped and came for me in the night. in the rain. when all the power was out. and there were no phone lines. and i had just stepped out of the shower.

i knew that my friends and family would all shake their heads and say, "WE TOLD HER SO. WE TRIED TO WARN HER. SHE DIDN'T LISTEN. SHE SHOULD HAVE GONE PRIVATE."

i even tried calling them out publicly after a hater comment that i was SURE they published. i told them i KNEW WHERE THEY WERE--GOSHENINDIANAGOSHENINDIANAGOSHENINDIANA--but, still, they persisted.

so, finally, i got up the courage to call infowest (my internet provider) about it:

mindi: "yes, my blog is 'word to your mother'--perhaps you've heard of it?"

tech: (silence.........................crickets chirping............)

mindi: "ummm, so anyway.....what do i do?"

tech: "ma'am? this ip address you gave me? in goshen, indiana? yeah, it's YOURS. YOUR OWN COMPUTER ADDRESS. FROM YOUR HOUSE."

i almost expected for him to then scream, "THE CALL IS COMING FROM UPSTAIRS!!!!! WHERE ARE THE CHILDREN???"


well, HELL.

i was stalking myself. and it apparently was a full-time job.

for whatever reason, my computer service was routed through goshen and it was my own computer i was worried about.


mindi: 0
internet: 1

34 comments:

Laura said...

Aw! You're special....! :)

MotherBeck said...

does it track if the person reads through Google reader? That's where I read from. You are so friggin funny...

pampered said...

You are too funny!! I volunteer to be your stalker. Not a nut job or anything just enjoy your blog from my dark basement with creepy music going.....

kado! said...

That is FUNNY! You are your #1 fan! ...and that's OK!

Enjoy your weekend!

LN said...

LOL!!! Glad to know you won't be stolen away (or worse) in the middle of the night. In the rain....we'd miss you too much if that happened.

Tiffany said...

Oh, MIndi! This is the funniest thing I've ever read! I had to wake Ryan and read it to him. I'm dying over here.

Ammie said...

Mindy- that is friggin hilarious! For a minute there I was startin to worry that the boogie man was coming to get you.

Mia said...

Whew, glad it was just you stalking yourself! Now I can sleep tonight.

Christi said...

I haven't commented in awhile b/c I am slack!!! But, this is hilarious, hilarious, hilarious!! I was literally on the edge of my seat! Love it!

Malea said...

ha ha ha!!!!!-k- I think that is so funny!!!

tiburon said...

DUDE! I guess I have to step up my game.

Cause I totally thought I had reached stalker status by now...

Whitney R said...

hahaha, very very funny. I have one of those.. but I'm pretty sure it's not me. Every single day they come. Even when I was only posting like twice a month. And I didn't visit my own blog everyday then. I still don't know who it is, but I'm just assuming it's someone I know....

gina bina said...

Seriously. Dang funny. And I'm not just saying that.

Unknown said...

Awesome! Thanks for the laugh. :)

Nathan said...

Priceless. My favorite was the line: The call is coming from upstairs!!!!!

We must be related because this is something I thought only happened to people with my genetics.

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

best confession EVER! so much better than nasty sex ones. Love that I can stalk you from Idaho now.

Margo said...

almost peed myself reading this one! love it!

Amy said...

All I have to say is I am laughing my ass off at this post. Grand Marshall? You have taken the cake on this one... I think I just peed my pants I was laughing so hard. Maybe nobody else is as entertained as I am, but you just topped yourself. I like this post ALMOST as good as International Male, which by the way needs to make an appearance soon!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I love this story!

I can be your stalker.

Just SO said...

Bahahaha!! I love it. You are your own biggest stalker. That is awesome.

mCat said...

That.is.hysterical!

Who knew? I guess you do know.

Nicole said...

SO FUNNY!

You are your OWN fan :)

Shawn said...

That was just WAY too funny! I laughed out loud!

Great story....one you can save for the even more beautiful grandchildren.

Rusti said...

Laughing. Out. Loud! Thank you for sharing

Unknown said...

Mindi, you need to write a book!!! your stories keep me in such suspence.

Unknown said...

How is that even possible?
I bet it was actually that guy from the service place.

R-Eight said...

HaHaHa!! I linked this one on my blog, had to share! Such a great story!

Anonymous said...

bwahahahahaha. hilarity! gooder-looking children! too funny mindi!!

amber

Jill said...

Very funny - but mostly because I've been worried about the person from Goshen Indiana showing up on my sitetracker too. Does that mean it's an infowest customer??

{jen} said...

You have made my whole day! That is good stuff!

Anonymous said...

That is absolutely hilarious!

Darian said...

Thank you for the laugh, Mindi! I can always count on you.

BTW. For the love of everything holy. Come over to my house and pick out your free Scentsy!

Omgirl said...

You are lying!!! Was it seriously you the whole time? did you never wonder why they only ever seemed to be on at the eXACT same times as you? Talk about a really good stalker!

Ida said...

oh man that made me giggle.