pebbles in my panties...


i hate scrapbooking. there it is. now they are gonna take away my right to live in utah. AND place my kids in protective custody. but, having said that, i am doing the evil deed even as we speak. i went thru a phase about 5 or 6 years ago when i put together books for kaitlyn, chandler, and abbey. they were never hooked-up, top of the line scrapbooks, just a few pictures stuck on the acid-loaded sheets that i applied with non-approved glue sticks. the problem is that my kids L-O-V-E them and pull them out all the time and pour over them like a banker with the stock market section. so, when abbey pulled hers out at christmas time and i realized that i had hers completed up til the end of 2002 (she was born in 2001, mind you. whoops.), something snapped inside and i realized it was time to stop speaking whinese and bite the bullet. my goal is to have all four books up to date by each of their birthdays and give them to them as their present. apparently mia wasn't even born into our family, as she doesnt even HAVE a book, so needless to say i've bitten off quite a big chunk. i decided to not even step foot into any scrapbook stores until i had used up as much of the 5-8 year old crap and stamped page cast-offs generously donated to me from my older sister, which i'm here to tell you that i have done, even though it was touch and go at times. i just ran out of page protectors on wednesday, so thursday i went over to pebbles. (as those of you in the know refer to on just the first word basis--btw, have to give a shout out to my friend amy's husband caylor who coined the phrase "pebbles in my panties-----genius!) when i walked into the store i kinda wanted to put a gun to my head a little bit because, although the selection is vast and wonderful and limitless, it is overwhelming and makes me a little irrational. PLUS, i'm still kickin' it old school with the 81/2 by 11 books and everyone who's anyone worth their scrapbooking salt in the northern hemisphere has swithed to the big 12 x 12's which i think is just an evil plot to make you spend more cash to switch everything over all the while increasing your self-loathing as you realize you really ARE the worst mother in america. or at least st. george. there was one small section of my sized paper that was seriously on their last legs, but i grabbed what i could and got the hell out of dodge. (usually as a rule this blog will be profanity-free, EXCEPT when it comes to pebbles.) abbey's birthday is on feb. 14th, and i am nearly done with 2006, so i think i'm gonna make it. but then chandler's birthday is feb. 19th, and i havent even tackled her yet. one day at a time. am i the only female who feels this way? please tell me no.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blogging, to blog - online group therapy session mixed with elements of person to person gossip and a vehicle for bootstrapping ones self, intentionally or unintentionally, to some level of fame or notoriety. The ultimate way to "put it out there and see what happens". Outlet for creative expression and mass distribution of literary and visual talents. Method to measure popularity.

Mindi said...

so, DOES this make me popular? you know that is my ultimate end game sk. btw thanks for upping my popularity meter by one hit.

Amy said...

Mindi a welcomed jump starter in the world of blog!

Ashlynn {mamabear} said...

I hate it just as much! I stopped years ago after years of the craft. I actually got paid as a nanny in NJ to scrapbook their 10 kids books so I came home hating it.

I started doing my books online. I do it over a month or two & then order it. It is super easy & the books are simple & timeless.

I still have tons of printed photos I should scrapbook though. We could start a "I hate scrapbooking" club.

Anonymous said...

You have the most hilarious blog I have ever read. It has provoked me to leave my first comment! Yes, scrapbooking sucks, but I am glad that you are doing it so that we blog stalkers will have something to read about! Too funny. (Ashlynn is right. On line books are the only way to go. So easy, and gorgeous!)

Heather T. said...

Silly Mindi, I am sorry to hear about your scrapin' funk that you are in. I have been in one too. I over did it with Bode, he was born in Sept and by May of his life I had 4 books for him. I need to hop back on the scrapin' train and head out of the station.

I too still do 8x11 books. Must be our generation. The binders and page protectors are sooo much cheaper at Costco and they fit better on a shelf. I just buy the 12x12 pages and cut them down, then use the left overs for other pages.

Maybe we could get together and help each other catch up !!!

Mindi said...

anonymous--you just made my year!! i feel honored to provoke anyone to do anything, so keep stalking and commenting--it strokes my ego. ashlyn--i have heard of those new online bad boys but change always scares me. i prefer to always do it the hard way and then whine about it.

Anonymous said...

Mindi-
I am a crazy sort of "pebbles" fan. I love paper, but I hate to scrapbook. I like to play with the paper... oranize it and mix and match it...but add the photos and it puts me over the edge. I have recently began digital scrapping and it is easier... no mess..no glue and the best part is that when you're done just save it and walk away... We'll see if I can maybe introduce Meg ( who just turned 6) to the world via a scrapbook. Who knows? We'll see!

Jennie Minor said...

I am NOT a fan of scrapbooking. We would all go to Lisha's cabin and they would pull out their scrap books, but not me. I was the only one without a book. Megan would help out, but I am NOT crafty or creative.

{jen} said...

I l-o-v-e your blog! I am a wanna-be scrapper, but I just don't have it in me! I have enough paper and the crap that goes with it to start my own store, but I know that I will never do it! I'm going digital- None of the mess with great results- I am all over that! Love you, love your blog!

Dannielle said...

Mindi! Stand up and dump those nasty little pebbles out of your panties because I have the perfect solution for you. It's been working for me for years. You head on over to Wally-World and pick yourself up four large storage boxes. You bring them home and place them in the top of your closet. Every time your kids get any pictures or artifacts they wish to preserve, you crack the lid and shove them in. And there you have it, scrapbooking finished! Stop torturing yourself my friend!

Anonymous said...

So, I like old posts. Shoot me! I just had to comment on the whole scrap addict thing. Just be glad you are not like me & my own sista. We are self-proclaimed scrap supply hoarders. Ya know, saving for that day that we will actually DO the deed! Our poor offspring.(sigh)