5 cd's on a deserted island

okay, so here's the deal: you are going to be stranded on a deserted island with a discman and 5 cd's--no i pod, no library of 10,000 songs to choose from. AND, it CANNOT be a "best of" album or collection. i just wanted to make it as difficult as possible. i know that most people probably couldn't care less, but i like to make these lists. and spend a ridiculous amount of time pondering the choices.

 and so the dysfunction goes on.......

here's my picks:


1. depeche mode songs of faith and devotion--of course you know that these guys would be #1, since they rule the world. i had a moment when i was contemplating "violator", but then i went right back to my first love. it's dark and messy and oh-so addicting.



2. foo fighters echoes, silence, patience, & grace--these boys rock my world and i have been in love with this album ever since it dropped in september of last year. they are one of the only bands out there-- along with the chili peppers whom i was sad i couldn't include.sob-- in my opinion, who still "bring it".



3. alphaville forever young--i still listen to this cd about once a week. it is soooooo my sophomore year in high school and i remember listening to it on my sweet walkman. funny enough, my LEAST favorite song on there is "forever young"--random.




4. u2 the joshua tree--another high school standby, but bono and company killed it on this one. good memories and even gooder music. what's not to love about this whole album?




5. keane under the iron sea--i struggled with this last one, but chose these boys because i already had a band that was dark and moody, some rockers, some new wave & bono, so i wanted something that i could chillax to--this does the trick.



13 comments:

rachel said...

ooh, I am so excited. I am going over to post mine right now :)

Mindi said...

i just checked yours out, rachel, and i must say i am bummed that i couldn't include chili peppers. that makes me sad

Dannielle said...

I feel like I am making a decision that will be forever life altering here. I mean, what if I choose the wrong CDs and I find myself tiring of one of my selections within my first week of desert solitude? I will do my best to choose wisely.

#1-U2-The Best of 1980-1990 (Bono and I would have the shortest legged children on the planet but I still think I would marry him. We could adopt. Then we could save the world together.)
#2-Pachelbel- (This is the lifescapes version from Target and I love it. Totally peaceful!)
#3-Creed-Weathered (Relatively new band when compared with my other selections, but I really think they are going to be the next U2, especially with people who are living in confined solitude)
#4-James Taylor-Greatest Hits (I never get tired of Baby James)
#5 I can't choose between the Dan in Real Life soundtrack and George Michael, so I think I will burn a CD with both of them.

Now that I have completed this important task in my life journey I will move on to Wills and Estate Planning. I must note that I wasted approximately 2 hours this morning stewing over my possible choices and the life altering decision I felt I was making.

Mindi said...

my gal dannielle just made my year!!! i am so proud that you made this very important,life altering decision. i congratulate you and worship the ground you walk on, as usual.

Mindi said...

p.s. i am not gonna recognize that dannielle ignored the rules and used some "best of's" because i heart her and she can do whatever she wants. always.

Mindi said...

i also love that i represent 3 out of the 5--actually, now 4 of the 6--comments on this. pathetic.

Mindi said...

i also want to point out to everyone that i am a very busy mother with alot of very important things to do and not alot of time to waste sitting at the computer.

rachel said...

I also recognize that it is Friday night, so you must have as busy a social calendar as me :)

Nicole said...

I just had to comment b/c you put Alphaville on your list. Memories...

~Nicole (Tib's friend)

Anonymous said...

#1 U2 Joshua Tree - wore this tape out. Still kicks arse. I still want to find that cactus and get a picture.

#2 Def Leppard - Hysteria - gotta love a one armed drummer. and a producer named MUTT, every song is tight. warning - do not go see them now!

#3 Alphaville - Senior trip to California and the 3 finger concert wave through-out, and I mean all the way through-out, the only concert Alphaville ever played on US soil.....at the dingy fairgrounds in SLC.

#4 New Order - Technique this was a toss-up with Substance. Sounded great through the Alpine 6x9s I installed in the kraut wagon.

#5 DM - 101 (cheating just a bit) if this is considered a "best of" then gotta go with Violator

honorable mentions include older DM and Playing The Angel, new Foo, The Cure, INXS - Kick (MH rest in peace), Tears for Fears - The Hurting, Psychedelic Furs - Mirror Moves, Beastie Boys - License to Ill, AC/DC - Live in Australia, Nickelback - All the Right Reasons, Erasure - The Innocents, The Killers - Hot Fuss

Marci said...

It has taken me all day to put myself on island mentally...
1.I have to get my copycat out of the way but Alphaville Forever Young is a great album, I spent many a slow dance "in style" swaying in circles to FY, but I also heart the rest of the album!
2.Kon Kan Move to Move is my other blast to the past album. DM,OMD,Xymox,&Eurasure would need to be burned onto the tale end of this one..
3.On Tuesdays, I would be feeling really guilty about all my rec center people sha-sha-shaken in Zumba I would have to bring some Latin flava..I guess Enrique Iglesias Insomniac would do...
oh ya...
4.For my Sunday, anything from the MoTab. My kids would be so disappointed if I listened to anything but church approved music on Sunday!
5.IZ Facing Future is relaxing and islandy. I can feel the cool ocean breeze...Calgon take me away!

Mindi said...

it brings me great joy that steve and marci would also be putting such thought and effort into my lame list making--you guys rock it hard!!!

tiburon said...

I am so doing a list - just trying to think about albums. I know 2 for sure - but the other 3 are really tough!