2 dresses that influenced my life

bloggers are posting their wedding dresses and i'm glad i got peer pressured into doing the same:

ya i know, total cliche, but i have to say this dress that made me feel the most princess-like and oh-so-beautiful. these days it's just something to mock with all of it's stupendous beaditry (is that a word? i just invented it.) and my "bustle" on the back--plus i got to wear a veil with the v-headband and that's gonna go down in history. what's not to love about 1991? ahhhhh.....i can almost hear wilson phillips singing now.... also how hot is my husband in these photos? so dang handsome.


the other dress that influenced my life was this red one, as well as many other versions of it:
 
this dress and other versions of it was basically my "uniform" for about 2 years--my mom was a genius with some knit fabric, and thank goodness as it was about the time that "units" clothing came out--but i was too poor to afford it, so my mom made me this dress in like 10 different fabrics and colors and i had a fabulous variety of belts to throw around my pre-childbearing hips. when i turned 19 i learned how to sew these dresses and pants and shirt combos like unto it.  i hated the fact that sewing was a non-instant gratification project.  i wanted to start it and finish it on the same day as well as wear it out that night to paula's.  i sewed the lazy woman's way which was to never finish the hems on the shirts but just rather tuck them into the units belt.  my mom hated it.  but it was SOOO me.

 i also picked this because russ used to love me in these dresses. i wore them all the time when he and i first met and the fact that he liked me in ANYTHING made a big impact.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! I'm glad Tib showed me the way(now I feel like singing- HA!). I could never find such awesome stuff to blog about. :)

tiburon said...

Now *I* want to marry you. Seriously.

Holly O. said...

Units! My mom made me some too. And then even she decided I the real thing was better. Thankfully we had a store at our mall.

Holly H. said...

I think our wedding dresses were made by the same person. Actually, did I rent yours? I'm so glad I'm allowed to comment with looking like a crazy person you don't know from adam. Your blog is seriously the best I've ever seen! You should enter a contest... I bet you could win a cake.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

You look pretty in both pics - so tan !
How funny we couldn't afford units either, so my mom made us a closet full of mix and match peach and teal options. Two must have color choices for any closet! ;)

Erica Onelove said...

Mindi...you are so gorgeous!

I can't believe I'm it cuz I love dresses & this is going to be hard.

I'll get right on it.

Misty said...

These are hilarious...and the reason why is because I relate to them. My wedding dress is a little more recent because I have only been married 5 1/2 years, but wow, I think we had the same 80s hairdo!

Jori said...

Should we really be saying "units" (heehee) I remembers those well. I had the home made version too.

Becky, yep said...

SWEET! thanks for playing!

Units...I miss Units!
but not Wilson Phillips!