songs russ and i heard while in hawaii. (repeatedly.)

 here's a little known fact about hawaii: they only import 10 songs to their radio stations. seriously, just 10. i know this because i heard them. over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. and there is some mad love in the citizens of hawaii's hearts for rap.

believe you me, i would know because russ and i are radio listeners when we travel. we find the 5 or 6 local radio stations that we enjoy and program them into the rental car's ghetto-fabulous stereo. unfortunately for us, there were only about 6 total stations on oahu that we could get, or that weren't broadcasting in japanese.

we spent a LOT of time cruising in our sweet convertible mustang, and there was one moment on saturday afternoon that 4 out of the 6 stations were ALL playing "what you got", which only made us want to veer off the freeway into oncoming traffic. 

wanna know the ten?? well, you're gonna get them whether you want to or not, since they are burned into my memory forever after:

in this club--usher (who, ironically, doesn't club anymore with his 50 year old wife)
get low-- 'lil jon (which has lost it's 15 minutes. or so i thought.)
what you got-- colby 'o donnis (liked it the first time. not the 20th)
soulja boy-- soulja boy (naturally. hate it)
lollipop-- 'lil wayne (as obnoxious as it sounds)
sexy can i-- ray j (don't even get me started)
bleeding love-- leona lewis (used to like this , now i develop hives)
take a bow-- rhianna (used to like this, too. but i can only take so much)
realize-- colbie callait (the soft rockness made me drowsy)
stop and stare--one republic (which i used to LOVE, but now have to banish)

now you know. and if you ever get to be on jeopardy and 'hawaiian musical favorites summer 2008' category comes up, you are SET.

one song that we did get to hear occasionally sandwiched in-between songs by artists starting with " 'Lil " is the song that my blogging bff kami turned me on to: jason mraz's 'i'm yours'--i have it on my blog player, and i fell in love with the ukulele and the "island vibe", and it will always remind me of russ and hawaii and driving in downtown honolulu while singing the words.  i loved this trip with him and i can't wait to go back. 

you need to take 3 minutes and 41 seconds to feel the love for the islands right here

22 comments:

*KaTiE cLoVeR* said...

hahaha i would soooo love that! i love EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THOSE SONGS!!!! SAWEEET!

hollylynn said...

um yes. i found that to be true in phoenix last week also...when i travel i like to find the best urban-lite station and i heard "what you got" "lollipop" and "sexy can i" were actually the only ones i heard all weekend. there was a brief reprieve for "damaged" which i welcomed with open arms. and if you know how much i don't love dannity kane, that says a lot.

kourtney said...

Good to know, now if I can only get to Hawaii to hear!

Super Happy Girl said...

If I hear crank dat (and mentally do that stupid dance) one more time I'm going to scream. Watch me crank it
Watch me roll
Watch me crank dat soulja boy


Apple bottom jeans
and the boots with the fur...WITH THE FUR!!!

}:{

Mike and Debbie said...

Oh sooooo true. Now you know my pain of living there and why we, the day we moved there, quickly went to the Apple store in Ala Moana and proceeded to download numerous tunes to our iPods.

I will say that living in Hawaii did have it's perks...one being that it made us seem quite hip with the nephews because we knew every word to the top 10 songs at the moment. It's like brainwashing, really.

P.S. Sounds like you didn't find the fabulous station that plays every 80's easy listening song that has been redone island style. Too bad. It's a gem.

mary plus vince said...

oh man! that is the worst... there is a certain station up in the SLC area that plays the same 10 songs too... it gets old. fast.

those songs were all fun and great and whatever... but when you hear them like a jillion times in a matter of an hour... yeah, not so great and fun and whatever anymore! :D

Christie said...

Ok - I'm so "out" because I've only heard one of those songs. Guess I need to get myself to Hawaii to catch up on my pop culture.

Tori :) said...

My four year old sings "Shorty had them apple bottom jeans, boots with the fur (with the fur)..." You know it's been played too much when your 4 yr old knows the words.

Although I did find a rocked out version with Travis Barker (drummer from Blink 182) jammin'. It's kinda cool.

When I was the Grand Caymans, I kid you not, they played "Happy Birthday" by NKOTB on the radio as a dedication to someone. I was lovin' it!

Tori :) said...

Why does your sidebar only say 20 comments when yesterday it said 38??

Trina said...

For. Reals.

Holly H. said...

They ruined "bleeding love" here too! I loved that song last week until I went to Powell and heard it on satellite radio 50,000 times. By the time we left, I wanted to claw my own eyes out when I heard it!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Such a good theme song for such a sweet vacay! I am diggin his new album (We sing, we dance, we steal things), I think you would like it.

P.S. love the blogger shout out, now that I have to slow it on down, for the best reason I could ever think of. :)

Devri said...

You must listen to my hubby's music, it's to die for, 80's, island(although a few songs are in Tongan). Yes, let be friends, I link you, you link me, now we are one big happy fam-il-y. :}

Angie A. said...

We lived on the Big Island for 6 months 7 years ago and there ae about 5 songs that I heard over and over again. Now if I hear them, I am instantly transformed back to our apartment there. I agree with Mike and Debbie in that I had no idea awesome 80's songs could be turned into Hawaii's finest.

Jana said...

Yeah when my husband tried to teach "lollipop" to my two year old I just got kind of just T.O.'d.

rachel said...

If you didn't have a ghetto fabulous club member card before...you sure earned one now :)

Anonymous said...

The Vegas clubs played nearly all the same songs too...Big bummer.

Jod Jas Curtis said...

Good Stuff!! I have to tell you everytime I see rbc on your blog it reminds me of "rice bean & cheese" burritoes from Cafe Rio!! Hmmmmm, you know what's on my mind :)
luvs

The Patrona said...

What? No, Kissed A Girl? The taste of her cherry chapstick is my favorite! If you put this song on your blog, I will be in your confessional, for murdering you in your sleep.

Misty said...

If you like Jason Mraz, I bet you would like Eric Hutchinson.

Holly H. said...

Oh and my son sings... "boobs with the fur". I'm such a proud mom!

Tori :) said...

Your counter thingy is totally, totally wrong. I am insulted.