my journey to taco time hell and back

in 1994 i had my first baby, kaitlyn. i was 24 years old and thought i was prepared for motherhood. i had, after all, been raised mormon in utah--it was like a birthright. right? we brought our tiny girl home from the hospital and i settled back to live out my little-girl fantasy of playing mother.

that is, until i walked into my closet 5 days post-birth and pulled out a pair of pre-baby jeans. i figured i just had the baby, all the weight would have been pushed out with katie. it just made sense. what didn't make sense was the fact that i couldn't yank the jeans up past my knees. this couldn't be! had someone played a cruel trick on me and replaced my jeans with some that were 5 sizes too small?? surely there was a hidden camera somewhere and ashton was gonna jump out and yell "PUNKED!!" (yes, i know he wasn't around then. it just seems like something that would have been appropriate in this situation--then the camera crew could have caught me curled up in the fetal position in the corner. now THAT would have been great t.v.)

i loved this baby more than life, yet i couldn't seem to feel "normal". i didn't know what was wrong, and i just figured that adjusting to life with a newborn was this rough on EVERYONE. i had to white-knuckle it for a little bit, and then everything would be fine.

i started to watch qvc all the time--those salespeople were so charismatic!! and the jewelry? first class merchandise for bargain prices!! e-z pay became my new best friend. there were many unique pieces like the long gold chain with the little acorn on the end with a clock in it that obvi i should not live without. !! i couldn't possibly live without these baubles. plus jewelry didn't care what size you were and if you were still wearing maternity jeans when your newborn was 3 months old--it loved you unconditionally.
we lived about 5 minutes outside of a little town called hurricane. we had built a small house in a ghetto subdivision and had moved there just six weeks before i had katie. i knew nobody. there were only 3 houses surrounding ours, and two of them were retired couples who had no interest (or so i thought) in being friends with an immature new-mother.

i started loading katie into her carseat, cruising into hurricane and pulling into the taco time drive-thru. i had a penchant for ordering mass quantities of food. a typical order would have been (get ready) a casita burrito, a crisp meat burrito, mexi-fries with cheese and sour cream and a hard-shell taco. then i would order at least 2 drinks so that they wouldn't think all that food was for me. i'd eat it by myself and throw away all the evidence so that nobody would know that i was one degree away from crazy, crazy cat lady.

taco time helped me gain 20 pounds on top of my baby weight. i racked up a big bill on my discover card (hey! there was "diamonique" to purchase!) and hid the bills from russ. i had a big, empty hole inside of me and didn't know how to fill it, so i figured i could buy my way out. au contraire! no dice.


there IS a happy ending to this story--the good news was that i was diagnosed with postpartum depression. the bad news is that it was after i had suffered through it for 2 years and had spent a fortune on mexican fast food and crappy costume jewelry.

i write about it because i can look back and laugh at myself a bit. i was seriously certifiable. but i also type this because i want other women to know that i had a prescription written out for prozac (so old school, i know) before i birthed my 2nd baby. i took it for months after chandler and it saved my life. it didn't make me a size 2 afterwards, but it helped me cope.


so, in the immortal words of kanyne west: "that which doesn't kill you , can only make you stronger". oh, and, "this offer available exclusively on 12 e-z payments of $10.95". how could i possibly pass up a deal like that?

i am a survivor. and a life-time v.i.p. member of the casita burrito club at taco time.

33 comments:

Devri said...

That is a great memory, hey I just started doing Monday Memory day, go ahead and play if you want to, steal the logo or don't cuz I am addicted to you know matter who or what. ;)

Anonymous said...

Loved this. There aren't enough women out there who are as open as you, and because of your sharing others may not feel 'crazy' and alone. As someone who went through severe PPD twice without help and with severe criticism by those who were supposed to be close to me, I can't tell you what it would have meant to me to read a story like yours at the time.

tiburon said...

Aww Mindi I think I love you even more - if that is possible. I was so in your same boat. Except swap out McDonalds for Taco Time and Old Navy for QVC.

Do you ever want to sell some of that sweet sweet jewelry you bought? There should be an auction...

tiki_lady said...

EEEK, I was so there to, except no meds. I may have to look into that route! but, I had the QVC addiction. What a bunch of junk, better than the dollar store though, but still. I hold out for the real deal-i-o!

Amy said...

Still crazy as a loon! Medicated and modivated is my motto! Love the story... I don't know what I would have done if I would have lived in a town like Hurricane... oh yeah... I did!I am so glad we were ghetto neighbors... I especially like your fish bowl neighbors. I can't complain... I have always heard... You can't look a gift horse in the mouth... Great post! I think you will touch MANY MANY MANY women that have felt the SAME exact way!

Tiffany said...

I want to hug Mindi right now. Thanks for sharing your story. It makes me like you even more, which I thought was heretofore impossible.

You rock.

Lesley said...

OH the things we do for those sweet babies!

S said...

I discovered Chinese food shortly after my son's birth. I think I used my $100.00 allowance a month of eating chinese food the year of the Rooster 93. Plus I would con people into treating me at my favorite resturaunt:)))) Booya Biggest loser failure!!!

Anonymous said...

I didn't have any post-partum directly after any of my 3 births, but I think I may have it now! 11 years later? Is it possible? McDonalds? House decor? Dishes & entertainment housewares? Clothes? Furniture? Anything? It NEVER ENDS!!!!

Love the post! You are a blocker!!! (blogging rocker)

Christie said...

Thanks for writing such a stright-forward honest post. There are so many people who go through this, and basically "suffer in silence" because they think its ok. My post-baby drug of choice is TCP - because stuff always looked cute on my kids - and maybe if my kids look cute, people wouldn't notice what a mess I was :)

hoLLy said...

my bff who is a young mommy of two lives in hurricane. what a coinkydink! y

eah, having a baby is so much more than people realize! yeah, there is the physical crap, but the emotional crap is even worse. i feel ya. i have a hard time(actually i have a hard time even when i haven't just had a baby-half of the month i'm in a bad mood. seriously. it sucks.) with hormones. i just wonder why sometimes. why do we women have to deal with this? on top of everything else! i'm glad you were able to find something that helped you(besides qvc and taco time:)

Denise said...

I loved reading about your TacoTime Adventures.

Anonymous said...

Mindi-I think, no... I know I love you that much more!!

I am on board with Angie, the house decor, clothes, furniture except I didn't have postpartum-so I have no idea what my diagnosis was/is!

tammy said...

Prozac was my best friend after my first born, too. Luckily I had a friend who knew I had PPD, because I had to idea. I thought it was just fine to sit at home and not do anything but take care of my baby. I couldn't even make a shopping list or pay bills. And anyone who can wear their pre-pregnancy clothes right after giving birth should be force fed a casita burrito, a crisp meat burrito, mexi-fries with cheese and sour cream and a hard-shell taco 3x daily.

rachel said...

you are so great for sharing that. I never had post partum, but I got seasonal mood disorder/homesickyness pretty bad last winter until blogging became my prozac :) Way to keep keepin' it real sista!

Suzie said...

I wish I could travel back in time and be your best friend in Hurricane. I'd come over and take the baby while you got some rest.
And take you out for some GOOD mexican food.

thanks for sharing this!

Whitney R said...

I haven't had any kids yet. I am quite baby hungry,though. But I am grateful to your post so that I know what feelings to look for if I were to get postpartum. Thanks.

I am glad that you did get help. And that you quote Kanye.

Shannon said...

Oh my HELL Mindi!
Only you can make me laugh and cry in the same post!
I had PPD after Dylan SO BAD, and didn't know it. I attributed my acute anxiety and crying daily to all of the other things going on in my life at the time. I lived in a big city, but knew no one and it sucked! The older I have gotten, the more I realize how much I need my girlfriends. as wonderful as our men can (or can't) be, they just don't get it like our girlfriends do! LOVE YOU!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I loved reading this, cuz I relate in so many ways. I had PP so bad with Avery and I think I have it a bit right now, even though Aiden is adopted (it happens I guess). I admire your courage.

ps. Long Live the Casita Burrito! ;)

Annette said...

No one can tell a great story like Melinda! If you need some variation in your Taco Time diet may I suggest the supreme nachos. Pick me up and I am all about the Taco Time drive thru.

Jennie Minor said...

I am really worried about PPD. I am scared that I am going to get it. But hey if the worse that I do is go to Taco Time,and a little QVC shopping I will be okay with that! LOVE LOVE LVOE Taco Time.
Seriously Mindi, no one can tell a story like you! LOVE checking out your blog.

Vanessa said...

I think they have weird powers pulsing through the tv @ QVC! After I had my first, I was addicted to buying Boyds Bears from QVC. WTF??? Now I look at the big pile of all those dang bears and get so mad at myself. I can't even get rid of them on eBay!

Thanks for sharing your story, it makes me love you that much more :)

heidi said...

loved this. especially the qvc part. i went through the same deal. i would watch home shopping all night when my first baby wouldn't sleep. i think i had eventually hyponotized myself by watching all those revolving jewels. the next day i would excitedly tell my husband about everything i saw. that was the breaking point.
you totally need to make a post about the stuff you bought. or...better yet, make it into a giveaway. i totally dig some "new" costume jewelry.

samiam said...

You are awesome. This is an interesting subject because nobody really talks about it til someone else brings it up. It is almost taboo...
I had fertility issues and longed for a baby but I too had a bit of the blues. Life changes and nobody, I mean nobody can prepare you for it. Good topic chick!

Harlene said...

I also never realized I struggled with PPD. I just assumed I wasn't good at the whole "mormon mommy thing". I always managed to live next door or across the street from those with 6 quiet, well behaved, girls! I had a disaster of a house and all these little boys running around in swim suits and snow boots.

It took a lot of faith, soul searching, and not a little prozac to be okay with who I am, and accept what was actually going on.

Thank you for your honesty.

BTW, neither jewelry or taco time qualify you as over the edge, right?

*KaTiE cLoVeR* said...

oh scary. hahaha i didnt know my mom was addicted to taco time when she
was pregnant... haha i wouldnt have because i was in her tummy!!!! i love you mom!

Busy Bee Lauren said...

This post made me:

1. Scared for babies.

2. Hungry for Taco Bell.

Mia said...

Oh Mindi I do love you so! It is hard to write about/ talk about those tough times. Yet you do it with humor and candor. You are fantastic. I know I had a hard time after my first and it was so much better to be able to talk about the struggle. Thanks for sharing

Ida said...

That is awesome that you talk about this too may people do not. I applaud you!

The Patrona said...

A sister PPD survivor, and crisp bean burrito lover?! You are a girl after my own heart. I was totally one of those people who thought PPD was "all in their head", until I couldn't stop crying nor leave my house after Tex arrived. Even some killer Gucci glasses and Flashmode lipgloss couldn't get me out and about. I finally clued in that it was a problem when my husand acknowledged that their might be a problem.

So now I take back all the mean things I ever said about someone with PPD, and I have Brooke Shields MILK ad up in my closet to remind me everyday that yes, I am going to make it through another day. Even if I can't have a Tom Collins.

Consequently, I also despise Tom Cruise.

PS. Did I hear mention of Vegas?! My and my bikini bottoms are packed!

Kristen said...

I took prozac after one of my babes and wished I had had it for all of them. Life is (sometimes) better when medicated!

Trina said...

Thanks for making me laugh and cry at the same time. And thanks for sharing something so personal.

Omgirl said...

Wow, I love the real-life Mindi moments! Not that I dont' love the awesomely bad video of the week-Mindi moments. But these windows to your soul are so bitchin. Thanks for sharing. And I do love the crisp chicken burrito myself. Just ask my hips.