with some indie record that's much cooler than mine or the independent magazine's writers are killing me


one of the very first posts i did when i started blahhhhhgging was THIS one about the independent's best of 2007's music.

the independent is a local artsy-fartsy newspaper that i always pick up and usually quite enjoy. that is, until they make their list of best albums that you should have been listening to during the previous year. that's when i start to see red.

i would consider myself to be a fairly music-savvy chick. i have a diverse and sometimes eclectic taste in music, while usually sticking to lots of mainstream stuff. but i have a lame gift that entitles me to remembering lots of details about musical groups, obscure and no. yeah, ask me how far THAT one has carried me in life...

what chaps my hide is when their 'BEST OF 2008' list is compromised almost ENTIRELY of musical acts that i've never, EVER heard of.



exhibit A:



(** indicates me knows)

tim's top 20

1. blitzen trapper--furr

2. the moondoggies--don't be a stranger

3. fleet foxes--fleet foxes

4. calexico--carried to dust

5. the deep dark woods--hang me oh hang me

6. north mississippi all-stars--hernando

7. grand archives--grand archives

8. old 97's--blame it on gravity

9. black keys--attack and release

10. the woodbox gang--drunk as dragons

11. ruby suns--sea lions

12. metallica--death magnetic **

13. liam finn--i'll be lighting

14. sera cahoone--only as the day is long

15. death vessel--nothing is precious enough for us

16. mudcrutch--mudcrutch **

17. alice cooper--along came a spider **

18. giant sand--provisions

19. pert' near sandstone--needle and thread

20. beach house--devotion



3 out of 20 is pretty pathetic odds. what gives?

am i the only one who's never heard of these obscure groups? guess i'm not as cool as i thought.

8 comments:

Melanie said...

I think your "gift" of remembering things about bands is at least cool. I remember phone numbers and birthdays, which I guess can be useful, but I get looks like I'm a stalker sometimes. When I was in high school I was in Lake Powell with a friend's family, and when they wanted to call a neighbor where their daughter was staying back home, I whipped out the number from the dark recesses of weird in my brain. Sure they were all grateful, but they all looked at me like I had boogies hanging from my nose. At least if I remembered cool band stuff, people would gather around me, thinking how fascinating I was. Think about who wins: you in the corner talking about Led Zeppelin or me in the other corner reciting my childhood friends' phone number?

You win.

rachel said...

Nope, you are not alone....I have heard of the same three artists you have: but I didn't hear those songs? So at least you are still cooler than me, by just a tad :)

veronica said...

You are one up on me.
Maybe those other bands just bought their way on to that list. Would that make you feel better?

Omgirl said...

Well, I'm sitting here giving you serious props for knowing Mudcrutch. So don't feel too bad.

mCat said...

I know NONE of them. At all! I am so outta touch. I'm freaking old.

Allison said...

I have a theory about this. I think the person who compiled this list has been doing all of his research on NPR all songs considered. I just listened to a podcast that was like the exact same list. Look who's "edgy" and "original" now! FACE

Mikki said...

(scratching my head)...nope, you're so not alone. I only recognize Metallica and Alice Cooper, none of the rest.

Sunny said...

Didn't know Mudcrutch, but I did know Blitzen Trapper and they are worth checking out. More mellow than you seem to gravitate to, but the title track is beautiful.