shoebox full of soap


Insult myspace comments

while growing up, if we needed a bar of soap we would go to the shoe-box in the spare bathroom and pick one out from the assortment.

there was quite the soapy selection in that box: green, yellow, white, square, round, oval--just about any kind you could possibly want, we had it right there in the bottom of the box. ALL your hopes & dreams, coming TRUE within the contents of that magical bar soap dispenser.
the only drawback? that they had been used already. at my dad's motel. by random strangers who had checked in and then out, leaving the precious soap behind.

when the guests would leave, my dad would have the maids grab any soap, used or not, and put them into a container in the housekeeping department where they were up for grabs.

it never occured to me just how odd this was in dealing with how we got our family's soap. later in life, when we children would exclaim, "eeeewwwwhhh! dad! how COULD you?" he would answer, "well, we had the maids WASH THEM OFF."

yikes.


my husband manages a hotel and we get many perks, but used soap has not been one of them.

should i feel gipped?

12 comments:

tiburon said...

I just threw up in my mouth. A lot.

kado! said...

Yuck!!! All I can think is maybe if you melted them down into another soap...the heat might kill any germs...but still...YUCK! =)

Tiffany said...

Want to hear something bizarre? WE HAD A SOAP BOX GROWING UP! And my dad didn't own a motel, but a transmission business! Where did we get that box of barely used motel soap???

I must find out.

Great story, by the way. Which place does/did your dad own?

R-Eight said...

Haha!! So funny!!

Anonymous said...

Um, NO not in the least.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Not only eww gross, but shimmery GIF eww gross. ;)

Renee said...

That is sooooo funny!!!!!! My all time favorite WTYM story.

My husband travels all the time and never fails to bring home the extra soap which we also keep in a box in the linen closet... but never used. You know what though, good for your parents to not be wasteful. I like that!

Rusti said...

My dad did the same thing! lol I started buying my own soap at 12.

Sue said...

saving used soap is pretty bad!

But heard a story of the cheapest man in America. He saved dryer lint to stuff blankets!

I can't use my dryer without thinking of that story!

Rebecca said...

huh...I couldn't figure out why Russ kept sending home free soap with Mark.

Omgirl said...

I was really intrigued and delighted with the idea of the box of soap....until you said where it come from. I am certainly not germ conscious. But that creeps even me out a bit.

babbler said...

I think that someone should have cut the outside layer of the soap off so that you would only use the inside protected portion. Better yet, someone should have tossed the whole box in the garbage. "I didn't do it" should be the response if asked. By the way.... Since slugs are naturally clean, we prefer not to use soap at all. It messes with our ability to slide properly. Exnay on the soap. Love and wagging tails, Mrs. Slug