i am in a committed relationship with diet dr. pepper

 i have what some may say is an unhealthy relationship with diet dr. pepper.

 i used to drink the full-leaded dr. pepper-- but after i birthed chandler and wound up sobbing on my closet floor when i couldn't get my pants up past my knees, i knew it was time to change.  i kept hearing my dad's voice saying, "melinda, never, ever drink your calories. do you know how many calories one regular soda has?" -- but i had been in deep denial cuz diet pop SUCKED. and it left a nasty aftertaste, and all i could picture was the tab diet soda from the 1970's that i remember my mom drinking sometimes, and how it tasted like a sad, sad, not-even close facimilie of the real thing.

but those pants weren't gonna re-size themselves magically,so i gave it a shot and found that not only could i actually tolerate it?  i kinda liked it.

 diet dr pepper brings me peace and serenity and joy. it gives me an excuse to get in the car with my husband to go on "a drive" while my kids are whining about not being invited to go. (it's sacred time, children. just watch high school musical 2 on mommy's tivo and we will be back before you can say troy bolton) and is something of a social-event for us. 

there is a running joke in my family about how each one of my children have it running through their veins when they arrived in this world, and how they learned how to suck out of a straw before they could crawl. is it good for them? i'm thinking no. but i have witnessed them running with scissors and staring directly into the sun also, and they have survived.

the only time the dr and i disagreed was when i had to have an intervention with myself about a year ago. i was drinking about three 44 ouncers a day, and i remember standing in front of the cups at mr.d's chevron and eyeing those 64 ounce massive plastic cups 'o goodness and thinking that it would just be a smarter and more efficient idea to fill that little puppy all the way up. so i cut down--just a little, not a lot. we still see each other every day and it works for us.

this is a picture of my soon-to-be valentine birthday girl abbey at the pool when she was about 16 months old. she is here, representing for her momma (see slang term of the day). i think in this case a picture is worth a thousand words.

5 comments:

Jennie Minor said...

I remember when I would babysit and we'd go out to dinner that is all that Mia wanted. It is too funny! But I am with you, there is something about diet soda that brings a smile to my face and I feel warm and fuzzy inside! :)

Joellen said...

My favorite is one day I was riding with Mia in the car and I was asking her where everyone was. I said "where is Katie" etc.. she would reply school then I asked her "where's Daddy"? She told me that Daddy was getting drinks. I pretty sure he was at work.
Good times.

R-Eight said...

So chips and salsa like cold cereal and diet dr. pepper?? . . . hmmm. Well at least I know what to bring when I come and visit this summer.

{Annie N.} said...

Don't you love the looks you get from people when they see your small child drinking your Diet soda. My kids have the same thing going. One of Luke's first words was Diet Coke.

Mindi said...

i can one up you, i think. i have actually gone into maverick with a baby bottle and filled it at the fountain. try being looked down on by the sort of folks who frequent THAT establishment!!! classic.