HB MEGAN or birthday tribute to my bff and 10-years-younger-and-skinnier sister i hate you.

today is my baby sister's 28th birthday--how lucky am i to have a sister and a best friend all wrapped up into one sweet package of megal goodness?? megan has always been too cool for her age. i always liked taking her with me places even with my friends (which is a huge thing if you are a teenager) because she was such a little chillaxer. i would sometimes pick her up from east elementary and take her to lunch with me when i was in college.

she went with me to lake powell and on several trips that no 10 year old would normally never get invited to, but since megan was ahead of her time i loved having her come.

megan and i share one unhealthy obsession: depeche mode. the picture of us at the top with the showgirl make-up is when we saw depeche mode at the hard rock in las vegas in april 2006. depeche is the only thing i have ever seen her be irrational with
money wise. sometimes i wonder how we can be sisters as i am the queen of instant gratification and questionable spending, but she likes to save her money and be smart--with the exception being depeche mode in concert. i have seen her lay out 2 bucks and some change for a single ticket, and that is when i get a smile on my face and want to join right in on the dysfunction.

my sister is an excelllent baker--her cookies and cakes and brownies and breads always turn out just the way they should be. i have not baked a single batch of cookies for about 6 years as she
will do it for me. i just wish she would eat more of the delicious delicacies that she produces as she was born with the body that mindi was supossed to have. mindi gets jealous of that tiny little waist and skinny legs, but mindi has learned to deal.

megan does NOT like buffets, people who don't wash their hands and animals in the house or in the yard. the only animal i have seen her be sweet with in the past 10 years is hopper the chicklet, and i think she has a secret love for him. she has even continued holding that little chickadee AFTER he pooped on her, which is a milestone in meg's book. she did just inform me, though, that he is crossing the "cute" threshold because he is getting too big, so i am gonna have to kick him to the curb (translation: larkin's chicken coop) and maybe get a new little chicklet?
she is an excellent little mother to madi--sweet and patient and loving: all the things i am not, so it's good to have her around. she was basically mia's mother until she had madi as she loved her so much and cared for her and even took her when she was a year old down to texas for a week to see my parents when they were on a mission!! i loved that they had that special little bond, but megan loves each one of my girls and supports them in everything they do and that means a lot to me.
megan has sometimes had to be the more mature, wiser "older sister" to her older sister, and has loved me and dealt with my crap and stood up for me when i needed it and even when i didn't deserve it-- i will love her just that much more forever (or 4evah as she likes to call it.) i've always said that it's a good thing that she is tied to me by blood so she can't ever break up with me even if she wanted to.
megan is funny and witty and can be the life of the party--she can also be quiet and introspective and she has an ability to make people love her and trust her right from the start. she is a loyal friend to her friends and they all love to have her around.
so, HB megan--next year we are all going in on depeche mode to play a special birthday concert in your honor. but this year we just have lunch at pizza factory--hope that works, too!! i love you the mostest. 

20 comments:

Lesley said...

Happy Birthday Megan!

Mike and Debbie said...

Yea! It's Megan's birthday! Love, love, love that girl! Ditto on everything said! She is one fabulous, fun friend and I feel lucky to be able to associate with the coolness that surrounds her ;)! Love ya girlie! Hope you have a great day!

Holly O. said...

Happy Birthday to Megan!

Jennie Minor said...

HB Megal! Love you so much. She is an amazing person. She is beautiful, great cook, good listener. I am so glad that her and I have still remained friends for so long. Love you Megal!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your sister, Mindi. It's my birthday also today... I hit the big 3-0.

I love reading your blog. You make me laugh daily.

tiburon said...

Happy Birthday to Megan! What a nice tribute to her. :)

Megal said...

Thanks for the sweet write up! I feel very loved. I love you too!

Anonymous said...

Happy happy birthday Megan dear!!! i hope you have a happy day, and many more to come. BTW,this must be the day to have a sister w/ a b-day. Today is my sisters 40th b-day what a good day! Happy day meg - luv u:)

Joellen said...

Happy Birthday to my Megan. I love you and I am so glad that you let me into your life and that I get to be Madi's szji szji. Do you like how I spelled that? Nice I know.

Misty said...

These pictures totally inspire me to put my spandex on and grab some aquanet, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Megan - another complete stranger that is an instant friend from Blog world!!!

Amy said...

Happy Birthday! I just love you! I am so glad that we've hung out and had some good times! Eat a big ole' piece of cake for me!

melissamarchant said...

Happy Day Meg! Love you tons! Wish I could see your cute face today! Neal better spoil you today - and if I know him like I think I know these Marchant boys, there will be lots of spoilage. :) Love you!

melissamarchant said...

PS - the DM picture brought back all kinds of happy memories. Best night ever!! I am keeping my fingers crossed for another invite next time they come around. :)

Heidi said...

Wow, Seriously what a sweet relationship you two have. That's really somethin special. What a great post to her.

Mia said...

What a sweet post! How fantastic that you two have so many great memories. Happy Birthday to your sister Megan!

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

Happy Birthday to your cute sista! You too are like twins!

*KaTiE cLoVeR* said...

HB meg~! You are so awesome and i am so glad that you are in my life. I can always count on you love you!

Becky, yep said...

I like Megan because
a-she's YOUR sister
b-Her birthday is ! day after mine
AND
3-She has a GREAT NAME, see Kami's blog

Collette said...

what a great little sis you have, she is lucky to have you as a big sis! Sisters are the best friends in the world! I love the stuff you find, I love your blog, keep up the good work I love to look at it daily sometimes more than once!

Heather T. said...

happy birthday Megan. I am glad that I have a little buddy to sit with and be not so serious with at Annie's little home parties. you are super funny and entertaining ! hope you had a good birthday.