i am finally trying to learn how to snow ski. at 39 years old.

...to teach an old dog new tricks.

i went with my posse to brianhead and took advantage of their "learn a new snow sport" special--only $39 for your lift pass, your equipment, & a 2 1/2 hour lesson. SCORE.
i went in with low expectations (translation: didn't even think i'd be able to get up. really.) and was pleasantly surprised that i actually COULD ski. proof? check me out below: (NOTE TO READER: that is actually a triple black diamond run, and the hill is a ginormous, straight-down, 90 degree angle monster. NOT the bunny hill that the camera makes it appear to be.)

jody & i learned everything we'd need to know plus a few extra skill sets from our main man, dave--he was a stone cold fox at 60 years young and was just what we needed.



the picture below kristin snapped right after he told us that we looked so great on the slopes, that it was a good thing we hadn't been going down naked, as nobody would have been getting anything done around there.....


i told him that he wasn't ready for all this jelly.

he begged to differ.


i decided that it was destiny that i had waited nearly 39 years to ski, because the skis are so much shorter now--they are a bit of a different shape as well, and i felt like it made a big difference in maneuvering around while i channeled peekabo street on a REALLY bad day.

it was an absolutely beautiful day on the slopes, and i am pleased to report that i fell down less than a million times. but i did have a few SPECTACULAR crashes that bordered on taking all-state. or maybe even nationals.
i may or may not have also cultivated a bad habit where i said naughty words when i sped up a little. ALLEGEDLY.

it didn't hurt really when i fell, but currently (7:00 p.m. tuesday night) i am in a world of hurt. i guess the old dog's bones are a little more brittle and sensitive to multiple crashes. who knew?

l to r: kristin, mindi, jody, kamari


i'm now just waiting for brianhead to contact me about instructing. i'm pretty sure the phone call is coming ANY moment.....

11 comments:

alex dumas said...

No way, I'm the first to comment for a change!

Mindi, you make me laugh out loud. All by myself in my office.

LN said...

So, have they called yet? Offered you millions of dollars to share your skillz, fo shur.

Glad you had so much fun. I've always wanted to try skiing, but rupturing my ACL in high school terminated my skiing career before I ever got the chance to hit the slopes. Oh well. I'll just *HAVE* to stay at the chalet, sitting in the hot tub & drinking hot chocolate.

Aranne and Dan said...

Way to go.. Awesome for you to get out and try new things.. I am sure you are addicted now. I tried snowboarding a few years ago and am hooked. Brianhead rocks! Good job.

mCat said...

Good on ya for giving it a whirl. Splenda Daddy took me ONCE the first year we were married. No more.

Mia said...

You are awesome!! Now for some snowboarding...

Suzie said...

so awesome. Mindi's the BOMB!

Omgirl said...

Oh Mindi. You make me laugh so hard that I tinkle in my pants. Just a little.

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

How fun! Next up...Sundance with Snowboards...I'm a bit of a newbie too, so we could just laugh.

tiburon said...

You are a ROCKSTAR! Now get up here and ski in some real snow :)

Anonymous said...

Just stumbled onto your site and have been back and forth on it for about 2 hours.. Really funny and cool. I usually see hotties like you all in the lodge sipping hot totties! Way to go!

Sam in Cali

{Annie N.} said...

Look at you hot snow bunnies. I'm jealous! I need to hit the slopes.