PUNISHMENT PLAYLIST

i've posted before about my "punishment playlist" ,
so i thought this was extrememly interesting when i saw this in GetBack :


"Barry Manilow has now joined the ranks of Metallica and Barney the Dinosaur. They are all part of that exclusive group of musicians whose songs are used as torture. The controversial practice involves blasting music at ear-splitting volumes for hours on end. A truly annoying song helps. U.S. soldiers have used it on everyone from Manual Noriega to the prisoners locked up at Gitmo.

Predictably, most songwriters don't dig this kind of use. It's not the kind of audience they had in mind when hoping for a hit. Manilow hasn't made it onto the U.S. Armed Forces torture play list — yet. But his songs have been picked up by city officials in Christchurch, New Zealand, who plan on blasting "Mandy" in the town mall to keep unruly kids away. Still, torture is torture whether in an Iraqi prison cell or Kiwi mall.

So now that Barry Manilow has joined the "Music as Torture" club, we thought we'd present the Top 10 List of Torture Tunes. Play them loud the next time you want those kids off your lawn. "


10. Metallica "Enter Sandman"



9. Barney the Dinosaur"I Love You"

8. David Gray"Babylon"

7. Britney Spears"...Baby One More Time"

6. Barry Manilow"Mandy"

5. Captain & Tennille"Muskrat Love"



4. Twisted Sister"We're Not Gonna Take It"

3. "Sesame Street" Theme

2. Neil Diamond"America"

1. Meat Loaf"Paradise by the Dashboard Light"


so, agree or disagree?

11 comments:

Melanie said...

I think if they used the video in tandem with the Meatloaf song they'd get their confessions at least twice as fast. I watched I think 7 seconds before I started to twitch and had to turn it off!

ern said...

anyone who considers the sesame street song torture must have a heart of stone! doesn't nostalgia count for anything????

Tiffany said...

I'm in agreement right up until Sesame Street and Neil Diamond. "Far. We've been traveling far. Without a plane. Not without a star." It's an old Momon pioneer song, I think.

R-Eight said...

Hate to admit it out loud but I LOVE Barry Manilow and I have the entire soundtrack to Jazz Singer memorized.

And Sesame Street?! You can't hate a classic!

Vanessa said...

Enter Sandman??? No way.

Krista said...

Oh no! i like enter sandman & I sing Barney to sid at night. AND we love sesame street!

Omgirl said...

Um, I actually like a bunch of those songs! But I agree about Mandy and Barney. Blech. I could listen to America by Niel Diamond all day, though!

Renee said...

I agree, with the exception of the Sesame Street song... the old school version of course.

Rusti said...

"Tiny Bubbles" by Don Ho- most def needs to be added to the list. If I ever have to hear that song again in my life I might Hulk out on someone.

I agree with Tib- something twangy could be great torture.

Riggs Rascals said...

Never been a Fan-ilow....thank goodness--but still love the 80's and Twisted Sister--used to stay up late and watch on Night Tracks on TBS...

Auds at Barking Mad said...

Well having had Metallica in my studio on more than one occasion, there is NO way I'd ever consider them torture. I take that back...looking at them after they sold out and cut their hair. But only then. That video is from one of their BEST live shows...EVER. The adrenalin was insane. I guess folks in ME countries and possibly other areas can't stand them.

As for the others. Definitely torture. Didn't even click on them because no sooner had I done that then I'd be on the floor rolling around in sheer agony!