high maintenance

one of my all-time favorite movie quotes is from the movie when harry met sally--

harry burns: "there are two kinds of women: high maintenance and low maintenance. you're the worst kind; you're high maintenance but you THINK you're low maintenance."


it's no secret that i am high maintenance. and i've never pretended to be otherwise.

some women pride themselves on being self-sufficient, do-it-themselfers. every set of instructions to put together little timmy's bicycle for christmas or the new backyard swing set is a challenge. something to conquer. me? yeah.....not so much.

i would prefer to be the team player providing the moral support and/or 44 ounce drinks from the convienence store. i can compliment, cheer, encourage, and on rare occasions, provide impatient, sarcastic commentary. which is generally VERY underappreciated.

i've never changed a flat tire, turned on the bbq, or started the lawn mower. i've also never hung a hook, put together a piece of furniture, or changed the oil in my car. WHY would i do that when i have a big, strapping, handsome man to do it FOR ME?

right now i can just hear the outraged cries of feminists the world over., kicking and flailing their unshaven, birkenstock-clad legs. and yes, i can hear all of the "but what if something happens to him and he's not around?"questions.

to which i reply: "that's what a big fat insurance check is for." (or a hit-man if he leaves me for a 23 year-old ex-stripper trophy wife.)

the sad thing is that, to know my husband is to know that getting a multi-million dollar life insurance settlement would be a DOWNGRADE for me. he's a caretaker (something rare and wonderful. don't hate.) and he's really, really good at it.

some of us are meant to take care, and and some of us are meant to be taken care of. i'm gonna take one for the team by doing the latter. and i make NO APOLOGIES for it.




are YOU high maintenance? take this little QUIZ and find out....

11 comments:

Hildie said...

Oh, high maintenence for sure.

But so very worth it.

Becky, yep said...

I HAVE MISSED YOU!!! Kam said you were here havin' some Rio last week...so Sorry to not have seen you!
-K- this post is exaclty what I love about MINDI!!! Raw, honest and totally Girly! Seriously...break a nail once in a while, it's gratifying to know that I can do ANYTHING!!!

on the flip..Way to be true to you!

Cole said...

Ha I was neutral. But only because I bare a scar on my arm from the one and only time I have ever mowed the yard in our 9 year marriage. Never Again.

I'm SO high maintenance. But I work hard for all of the goodies I deserve. I work side by side with him so of course I need that Tiffany necklace I've been coveting and STILL don't have!

I don't take out the trash. Even when he's out of town, I wait for him to come home. I fix what he breaks. I don't do dishes. I wired up the generator to the house. I don't vacuume, it's HIS vacuume. I just put over a 1,000 screws into our new deck. I clean toilets, he never has.

Oh yeah, I gave birth.

I deserve lots! He just hasn't realized it yet....

tammy said...

I don't even need to take the quiz to know what I am.

High maintenance and proud of it.

Tiffany said...

Low maintenance, here. But that just means we'd make splendid friends, right?

kami @ nobiggie.net said...

I am the worst kind...Kyle puts up with a lot...poor little bunny.

Your man is such a care taker/efficient cleaner-upper. I know because I saw him in action. You really are a lucky girl.

Rusti said...

Took the quiz- got neutral. Yeah, I'm a little bored with the results. Who wants to be described as neutral? I may have to kick it up a notch!

Omgirl said...

I predicted my results would be neutral and I was right. And I think that's probably accurate. I'm pretty low maintanance on the whole, but I do like my holidays celebrated in grand style (birthday, anniversary, mother's day, etc.). fortunately, my man is excellent at presents and celebrating me, so I never have to put up a fuss.

Hildie said...

I would just like to clarify: I demand being worshipped, and like things just so. In that sense I am high maintenence. But There is no drama where I am concerned.I am very even-tempered. I also fix everything around the house and do all the odd jobs like changing lightbulbs.

I put my foot down at mowing the lawn. It was my job for about five years when I was younger and I hated it! Now it's a moot point because we have kids who are old enough to do it.

tiburon said...

I have said it before and I will say it again.

I fell in love with Russ when you told me "Russ likes to take care of me. And I like to let him."

Well done.

JenTix said...

You renew my faith in men when you talk about RBC. I pretty sure he is one in a million and you hit the lottery!